Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

canadianmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2002
Ottawa
Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing wonkee screen [screen is dark and blurry] visuals when you boot up? It happens occaisonly, and rebooting cures the problem, but I would really like to get to the root of this. Any suggestions?

An update...I am using an iMac DV, so getting a new screen won't solve my problem.

Another Update...had a problem with updating my firmware. It wouldn't install and left my machine unable to boot. Got it serviced and they updated the firmware...ever since no wonkee screens. Thought I would share this one with other iMac users. The suggestion get another screen was worthwhile, but didn't make much sense.

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Re: OS X: Wonkee Screen

Originally posted by canadianmac
Is it just me, or is anyone else experiencing wonkee screen [screen is dark and blurry] visuals when you boot up? It happens occaisonly, and rebooting cures the problem, but I would really like to get to the root of this. Any suggestions?
I had that trouble. I fixed it by replacing my broken KDS monitor. Went through two of those before having the sense of getting a real Sony.

blakespot

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
I prefer ViewSonic when it comes to monitors, but Sony when it comes to tv's. I don't like the monitors that use the trinitron tube, since I always notice the grill lines that are about 1/4 of the way up from the botton, and down from the top of the screen. I use either a shadowmask tech crt or a good LCD (ViewSonic VG175).

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
ViewSonic LCD screens are even better... super crisp, no flicker (ever) and you get the actual size that they list (unlike the 19" crt's that are 18" at best). LCD tech has come a long way in a short amount of time. They were getting less expensive for a while, but that seems to have either slowed down, or stopped.

I hope that, someday (soon), LCD's are the price that CRT's are now. Where you can get a 19" screen for under $400, and a 21" for about $600-$800.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
viewsonic lcds

i agree... ive had my viewsonic 15" (yea...its kinda small) for a while now tihout any problems... a great solution, and much more reliable than most other monitors. unfortunately i ahve one dead pixel, but its off to the side, luckily - but these problems will ome up as easily on other brands....

blakespot

Administrator
Jun 4, 2000
Alexandria, VA
Originally posted by AlphaTech
ViewSonic LCD screens are even better... super crisp, no flicker (ever) and you get the actual size that they list (unlike the 19" crt's that are 18" at best). LCD tech has come a long way in a short amount of time. They were getting less expensive for a while, but that seems to have either slowed down, or stopped.

I hope that, someday (soon), LCD's are the price that CRT's are now. Where you can get a 19" screen for under $400, and a 21" for about $600-$800.
Aside from price, my issue w/ LCD's is that if you want to run in a res lower than it's "true" res (most are 1280x1024 or so) then the screen has to interpolate pixels making things fuzzy. This does not have to happen w/ CRT's. And even though I've got a GF3 + DP G4 800, there are some games that just don't run quite fast enough at 1280x1024.

blakespot

Beej

macrumors 68020
Jan 6, 2002
I am more than happy to put up with the lines across a trinitron for the sake of the extra clarity. (Whe I say 'put up with'... I rarely notice them...)

But I don't care how good your CRT is, they look fuzzy after using a good quality LCD. (As long as the LCD is in it's native res).

As for not liking LCDs outside their native res, I kind of like it. I only ever chance res (down) when I'm playing games. The fuzziness is kind of like getting free FSAA.

Gotta look at the positives! ;)

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by blakespot

Aside from price, my issue w/ LCD's is that if you want to run in a res lower than it's "true" res (most are 1280x1024 or so) then the screen has to interpolate pixels making things fuzzy. This does not have to happen w/ CRT's. And even though I've got a GF3 + DP G4 800, there are some games that just don't run quite fast enough at 1280x1024.

blakespot

My ViewSonic VG175's 'native' resolution is perfect. I have never had an issue with games not liking it, then again, I am using a Radeon 8500 with it (on the peecee, but only for games). It also never complained when it was attached to my G4 500 (agp) with a 32MB Radeon (Mac edition). I don't know which games you have tried, but UT was sweet on it. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.