Oscars aka Social Justice Award Show

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Snoopy4, Feb 29, 2016.

1. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

So the wife has a ritual. Oscars will be watched in the home. So I sit there, watch and play games on the iPad. I've done this now for 15 years, thank God the iPad was invented along the way.

But seriously, what the heck is wrong with Hollywood, other than the fact they are supposedly a bunch of racist Jewish people with a lot of money that hate Chinese kids and want us to save the planet? Jeeze....

Why can't Hollywood just do a damn we awards show without feeling like they have to lecture everyone? That show was a mess and at times incredibly cringe worthy when they mocked Jewish accountants and Chinese slave labor. What the heck?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

why blame the oscars? don't like it/don't watch it; simple as that.
    [​IMG]
    --- Post Merged, Feb 29, 2016 ---
    [​IMG]

3. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Because that's what they do! For rich, famous people, lecturing the rest of us how to act is more important then doing anything. Leo had to preach about global warming. How many private jets has he flown on, how big is his houses, did he ride share to the awards, etc. etc. As for the theme of the night, I hope next year only non-black minorities are nominated, only Asians and Latinos win! See if they still make white jokes then.

Great minds think alike. I was typing my post while you posted this. All I have to say is thumbs up!

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

the white jokes got stupid & irrelevant quick, but I did like the skit with the black actors & the black woman in place of the bear :D

anyways Hollywood is full of hypocrisy, they rail about guns while benefiting from guns, actors use them & they have armed guards around them as well.

5. chown33 macrumors 604

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Actors doing that, bad. Donald Trump doing that, good.

7. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

But Donald Trump is the biggest actor out there.

8. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Hey hey hey Jewish men LOVE Asian women. What do Jews eat on Christmas? Chinese food!

There's actually a significant cultural relationship between Jews and Asians in American history- living side by side, pretty insular communities outside of their own, most Asian dishes aside from to some regard follow Kosher laws (rarely a mix of meat and daily), both are model minorities, etc.

There's really not many high powered Asian actors/actresses in Hollywood. I didn't watch, so I can't comment on the jokes but child labor seems like a hard subject to successfully joke about.

As for Leo, he's just another high power, hypocritical liberal when it comes to climate change. I guess as long as you have influence, donate money, and promote the subject, that's all you need to do. Apparently public speaking is now a carbon offset program. Maybe he doesn't AC his mansions and turns off all his LED light bulbs, but there's no way getting around the atrocious energy consumption of building and cruising around in a 450ft mega yacht...

9. Strider64, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

Strider64 macrumors regular

Strider64

I never watch the Oscars and they usually pick the most boring picture for best motion picture in my opinion. I could careless what these Hollywood prima donnas have to say about politics.

10. cfedu macrumors 65816

cfedu

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Chris Rock crushed it.
    The Revenant was great!
    Leo is a great actor but takes himself too seriously.

12. FieldingMellish Suspended

A writer for the Times said Revenant was like the The Natural History Museum, but more boring.

13. Eraserhead, Feb 29, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2016

Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Film critics never agree. Some critics even like Grimsby!
    Apparently Leo offsets his carbon emissions - http://simplyleonardodicaprio.com/leonardo/causes/emails/carbon-neutral. And 11 tonnes of CO2 isn't that bad, if that figures accurate he produces as much as the average European. The average American produces 19 tonnes - http://www.theguardian.com/environment/datablog/2009/sep/02/carbon-emissions-per-person-capita

EDIT: it would be nice to see some more mainstream sources I have to say. I can either see right wing bloggers or this.

EDIT 2: http://leonardodicaprio.com/leonard...ts-15-million-to-global-conservation-efforts/ will offset a lot of emissions.

14. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Ha, my wife would agree.

15. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Well, good to see he's at least trying. I noticed his yact is German built which is a good- I'm glad to see he didn't try and save a few buckets buying a Chinese built ship by some company with zero need or desire to follow any environmental regulations.

That said, I still find in hypocritical. America is a free country, he has money, he can do what ever he wants, but in my opinion to be such and activist and then live such an lavish lifestyle. Carbon offsets sound great but in practice I haven't seen substantial evidence to suggest they are as valuable as they're made out to be. The single most valuable thing you can do is just not waste energy.

Something like only 30% of Carbon Offset dollars go to the actual causes me they spend over 30%+ of the money insuring the project (more than the actual cost of the project). Then around 20% goes to investors. The rest is split amongst other costs like brokers, compliance/auditing fees, etc.

Then there is is undertone that if you're wealthy, you just pay to absolve yourself of your negative impact. It reminds me a lot of "indulgences" in the Catholic Church. It doesn't really matter what your sins, they will be forgiven if you just fork over enough cash. I don't think that's the right message. Don't get me wrong, Leo donating millions to environmental charity likely has had done more than any normal individual could do to save energy, but psychological speaking it creates this idea that as long as you can afford it, you have no real responsibility in your actions and doesn't necessarily promote change of behavior. Pay the cost and move on, just like a tax.

Lastly, there is the issue of the whether the intended impact of investing in carbon offset. There's cases of China selling credits for programs to clean up toxic products, only to invest that money back into creating more toxic waste. Scam programs that don't actually reduce environments impact. Programs that have unintended consequences of actually creating more production of CO2/toxic waste. GM had an issue with their credits in South America that was driving indigenous people of thousands off their land. There's a zillion articles on the questionable effectiveness of reforestation. And so on. I see it primarily as an economy created under the guise of environmentalism with the true purpose of making people money- like most things in life.

If these programs were are thoroughly analyzed and vetted they'd be a reasonable way to address climate change, but still not even as a primary means. Still the best thing any individual can do is reduce consumption. And instead of buying a new Prius every 4 years keep driving that 10 year old Honda into the ground.

I don't want to derail this tread into an environmental debate- this is a whole different topic. I just hope Leo, appearing so interested in this subject, spends a lot of time and effort researching the best ways to invest his money (or at least has a good advisor/team).

16. FieldingMellish, Mar 1, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2016

FieldingMellish Suspended

America's largest and most celebrated bread and circuses have been infested. For a while now, we've been seeing the negative and problematic Hollywood mass communication that the right was checking during the 50's blacklists. Hollywood let loose such restraints, with this year seen stoking racial animus for fun and profit. Especially notable after the racially-charged co-opting of another large mass-communicated American pastime, the Super Bowl.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

The Natural History museum in London is actually really interesting. :D

18. BillyBobBongo macrumors 68020

BillyBobBongo

Indeed, one of my favourite places to frequent when I'm back home in London. Clearly the writers for The Times are interested in more low brow amusement these days. ;)

As for the Oscars, they have lost their relevancy.

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I doubt he does in the real world. He'll be on his yacht banging models and not thinking about the weather soon enough.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

"Social justice" and "cuck". The two terms with rising popularity that mean sweet bugger all in their intended context.

21. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Is that a joke?

So if I take a dump on your porch but plant a tree after, everything is cleaner?

22. sim667 macrumors 65816

Shows how little you understand about global warming then.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Fixed it. :p

24. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Well, if he declared that the world needed to combat AGW and the only realistic way to stop near-term warming is to immediately transition to carbon-free nuclear power people might take him seriously. As it stands, the only people who take Leo's AGW utterances seriously are my starry-eyed liberal friends swooning over him on Facebook.