Ossoff appears unlikely to win Georgia House seat outright, forcing runoff

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Apr 18, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Things went exactly as I thought they would and Ossoff will face Republican Karen Handel, the state’s former Secretary of State in a June runoff.
    http://www.marketwatch.com/story/os...house-seat-outright-forcing-runoff-2017-04-18

He came so very close to winning it outright though that that should worry Republicans a bit! Sorry Trump, your robocalls seemed to have the opposite effect you wanted. And Handel was not even a Trump fan. The Trump supporters didn't even come close to winning tonight.

Not a good sign for Trump at all tonight, especially within the early 100 day mark. The race last week was better for Dems than expected too.

Of course Trump is now calling a runoff a "win" on Twitter right now. :rolleyes:
    --- Post Merged, Apr 18, 2017 ---
    So modest :rolleyes:

IMG_2541.jpg

2. samiwas Suspended

All I know is this means I have to keep hearing these political ads. This has been the absolute worst round of political ads ever. Especially the anti-Ossoff ones. And, yes, I would hate the same ad style against a Republican candidate as well.

3. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

I have no TV I have not seen a political add in years.

4. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'll start posting them for you. :p

Actually, during the election I did have a political ad thread. How did you avoid it? :D

5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Democrats dumped 6+ million into this election, unfortunately like Hillary found out you can't simply buy an election.

Considering how much money/celebrities were involved this was a complete failure on the democrats part.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not really.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

How do you still manage to be utterly divorced of reality even in a civilized country like Canada? It's truly amazing.

The DNC barely stepped in here, almost all the money came from DailyKos and small contributors. The DNC itself doesn't give half a **** about the "red" states (because they're morons) and only started putting in minimal resources in the last week and a half.

9. samiwas Suspended

The district had voted 61.6% Republican in the 2016 election, and in the past had voted far higher for the Republican candidate. It's been Republican since 1979. This time, they voted 48.1 percent for a single Democrat. 48.9% of the vote was for Democrats overall. Democrats gained more than 13% of the vote in six months. I'd say that's a pretty solid accomplishment.

And I live just a few miles from District 6, so I've been bombarded with all sorts of advertisement...I haven't seen any celebrities. All I saw was Ossoff's ads inflating himself (who doesn't?), and everyone else's ads talking about Ossoff and his "LIBERAL AGENNDDDAAAAAAAAA!!!!" (that needs to be said in the voice of that guy who narrates action-movie trailers)

10. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Sounds like you have been going to the Sean Spicer school of spin since he called it a "loss" for the Democrats last night too. The real losers last night were those candidates who supported Trump. They were the ones who lost. To a Democrat and a women who definitely distanced herself from Trump during her campaign.

That should be a wake up call to this White House and anyone who supports Trump. They better be turning that ship around...and I don't mean the aircraft carrier whose whereabouts they seemed to be confused on. :D

11. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

12. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/19/us/politics/georgia-special-election.html

I'm a little fuzzy why there's such concern about how much was spent for the democratic challenger. It was a republican seat in a heavily conservative district. Yet still republicans were surprised and almost lost it completely. If it's a big deal that money was sent for the democrat & he almost won, what does it say about the money & republican that didn't win in a heavy republican area?

13. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Ossoff- 48%
    Handel- 19% who will face Ossoff in a runoff election

Mega spin baby, the Trumpians got it, as we are advised by Spicer that Ossoff lost! We got what we paid for, lying conmen. :oops::mad::rolleyes:

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Who said anything about the DNC? Hollywood and the left spent millions on this small potatoes election.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 19, 2017 ---
    11/16 candidates were republicans iirc, and Ossoff is the only one who received 6 million dollars in outside cash.
    Its more about where the money is coming from ie not georgia.

16. samiwas, Apr 19, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2017

samiwas Suspended

Huh? What does that have to do with anything? Someone being elected to the house or senate has a part in crafting policy which affects the whole nation, not just their particular state.

Remember...the electoral system let's small flyover states decide who is going to lead the nation against the wishes of the majority of voters. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

Yet I saw two anti-ossoff ads for every ossoff ad. There was plenty of "congressional leadership fund" money to go around.

You. Don't. Live. Here. I do. I know what the advertisement was like. I was bombarded with them by dozens per day. How much money he raised is pretty irrelevant. In fact, the sheer awfulness of the republican ads is what put me in favor of ossoff, not necessarily ossoff himself.

Also, read tshimp's FoxNews link. The following quote in particular:

So, he's raised money from outside the state, which is apparently dirty and wrong, but Republican staffers have been sent to the state, and millions have been spent on attack ads, but that's okay. Right?

17. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

Yet, no concern for the republican money sent in? No concern that voters moved by the dissatisfaction of an administration barely 4 months into a 4 year term & a Congress run by the same party of the seat, or that 68.75% of the candidates for that one seat were republicans yet the top four of them collectively matched his vote tally? That really doesn't concern you? That seems like some selective concern then? Just like selectively choosing to focus on the money spent one candidate's side, to overlook the collective shortcomings of a party that's held that seat until now.

No concern about money spent on questionable attack ads?

http://www.politifact.com/georgia/s...ip-fund/attack-ad-ties-jon-ossoff-al-jazeera/

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Those people are representatives of the people of Georgia, not the US in general. You don't want to see millions being poured into each run off in every state. Elections in general in the US are ridiculous already.
    It's a tit for tat, democrats dumped 8 million in and then the Republicans responded by dumping millions in. That's how these things work.

19. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

So either your concern is over the way things have been done in elections for years now with outside money always coming in from either side. Or it's hypocritical in that democrats made an effort to win an election at the last minute, when they previously left the guy on his own, and the republicans were arrogant & took it for granted they'd win again easily.

Either way, focusing on money spent from either party is a weak deflection by the showing of 11 republican candidates in an election for one seat and they collectively got as many votes as one democrat.

20. samiwas Suspended

So, what you seem to be saying is that a few million dollars in ads was all it took to sway a district that has voted heavily-Republican for 45 straight years to nearly elect a Democrat. It has nothing to do with the fact that many people are just done with the current political makeup, and the absolute sh**show in control right now? The only possibility is that one guy got some money? But, if that's true, then the sheer number of anti-Ossoff ads (which outnumbered Ossoff ads from what I saw) should have had a much greater effect. Where else was all this money spent?

21. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ossaff received 8 million as one candidate for one district, the Republicans came in after they saw the money rolling in to do attack ads, not spending as much across 11 candidates.

If democrats want to blow millions on every single election I'm sure the Republicans will oblige.

22. samiwas Suspended

Again, I saw more anti-Ossoff ads than Ossoff ads. So, I guess he just blew all the money at strip clubs or something.

You see it as a blow because he didn't outright win. But he got very close to 50% of the vote in a long-time Republican stronghold. It appears that the Republicans are the ones who failed here...bigly. A district they've held without question for 45 straight years. And let's see how much money the Republicans pour into the runoff. They're scared, because they've been dealt a hand they thought they already won.

23. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The district will hold and Trump will still be president.

24. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

What will be interesting to see is will her distancing herself from Trump mean that pro Trump Republicans will stay home and let the Democrat win? I think the fact that Ossoff got so close will energize the Democrats to come out again for the runoff, and it won't take many Republicans staying home to turn his current vote total into a majority if the pro Trump Republicans stay home even if he doesn't make any more inroads with Republican voters.

25. samiwas Suspended

I guarantee you that she suddenly becomes a big Trump supporter in the coming weeks.