OSX 10.3.3, Apple TV3 Choppy YouTube Playback with AirPlay

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by dgbarar, Apr 8, 2015.

1. dgbarar macrumors regular

dgbarar

I updated both late 2013 rMBP and early 2014 MBA to OS X 10.3.3. I also updated Apple TV3 software to version 7.2.

Using AirPlay, I now get very "choppy" YouTube playbacks. Every 0.5 seconds or so there is stutter in the video and audio. This was not present before the updates. I have re-booted both computers and the ATV3. This has not corrected the problem.

Anyone else note these issues? What have you done to correct?

Donald Barar

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

How do you play YT back? Via AirPlay Mirroring?
    Or via direct streaming (you need ClickToFlash plugin for that)??

3. dgbarar thread starter macrumors regular

dgbarar

Hi P,

I use AirPlay Mirroring.

I have not heard of click to flash plug-in. Is that a plug-in for the Safari? Does this process work better?

Donald Barar

4. comics addict macrumors 6502a

I have updated my cMBP to 10.10.3 and my week old Apple TV to 7.2 and AirPlay mirroring of YouTube videos and other content as smooth as it can be. The slightly annoying jitter that was present during the previous atv software 7.1 is gone. Updated them both in tandem so I can't comment if 10.10.2 would have had problems with airplay on atv 7.2

5. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Yes, and yes.
    AP Mirroring is a process of re-encoding your screen and sending it to :apple:TV. Direct AirPlay from browser is just redirecting the incoming stream from browser into :apple:TV, without re-encoding. So much more efficient and without additional decode/re-encode.
    The only downside - YT only has MP4-encoded movies in up to 720p resolution (at least that is how the plugin developer explained me the reason of 720p being the max resolution, whereas in Flash they might go up to 4K).
    More details: ClickToPlugin Brings AirPlay Support to Safari for Mac
    PS, note the date of that article!