OSX 10.4 Tiger first impressions

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I don't know what half of those features mean, and among the rest are not really features in the sense that they're something you can directly use - like "firewall log" or "RPN calculator".
I didn't know that it has an RPN calculator, but he's right, it does :D

Attachments

wowoah

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2003
Berkeley, CA
Does anyone know if there are any speed performances? That was the serious clincher for me in buying 10.3, the incredible speed boost I got from it.

I also really wish Apple would fix up the Finder a bit, it's so limited it's embarassing. Please Apple, if you do little else for 10.5, IMPROVE THE FINDER!! :eek:

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Have people not seen the feature list? :)

http://www.apple.com/macosx/newfeatures/over200.html

That list is well worth my $129... of course, Amazon has it for $95 :)

Of course there's also the time-honored tradition of wishing Apple wouldn't improve OS X so much so soon... as though keeping Panther will somehow stop your current Panther apps from running :rolleyes:

DaveP

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
wowoah said:
Does anyone know if there are any speed performances? That was the serious clincher for me in buying 10.3, the incredible speed boost I got from it.

I also really wish Apple would fix up the Finder a bit, it's so limited it's embarassing. Please Apple, if you do little else for 10.5, IMPROVE THE FINDER!! :eek:
My exact thougts! Nermal, or anyone with Tiger installed, is there a significant speed boost? And I'm sorry, but I think Finder sucks bad. Going to Windows Explorer is one of the only preferable thing to using my Windows machine.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm on a 1.25 GHz G4, and I didn't think that Panther's Finder was slow. I think Tiger's is a bit faster, but that might just be due to the clean install.

But so far, Tiger's been pretty good, except that you can't customise number formats anymore, which is a pain considering that the default formats for NZ are wrong!

DaveP

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2005
Ok thanks. I'm a sucker so I'm sure I'll spend the money for Tiger....

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Even though I've pre-ordered Tiger, I do get the feeling that Tiger is not the revolutionary leap forward that many of us had been hoping for hence the lower price than Panther.

The screen-shots I've seen show disappointingly little evolution in the interface and finder. The new stuff (spotlight, automator, etc) is not that exciting and CoreImage & CoreVideo hold a promise that remains to be unrealised unless developers take an interest in it.

I suspect that all the best stuff is being held back or worked on for a future release that will be out sometime around Longhorn's debut... maybe the priorities of marketing are driving this schedule.

On the other hand, maybe I'm just being overly sceptical but it's interesting to note that the people who have acquired early copies are not coming here and raving about it.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
The interface has not changed at all. If you look at the stock screenshot, the only thing you'll see if the Dashboard icon in the Dock and the blue magnifying glass in the top right hand corner.

I'm willing to bet your initial reaction will be one of being underwhelmed. That was my feeling when I first used it. It isn't the same as when we went from Puma to Jaguar, with the new Finder layout. Think of Tiger as a refinement and speed enhancement. There are many little changes that make Tiger a joy to use.

We won't know the full extent of Spotlight, but I believe in time, doing without Spotlight would be unbearable. I think this is the beginning of the revolution in how we use our computers, in the same way Google has revolutionized how we search and use the internet. When Google first came out, it was just another AltaVista. Spotlight's speed and metadata indexing will be it's saving grace.

Dashboard... it's the springboard for a new class of applications. Dashboard shows a lot of promise for instant, on-demand information. The weather widget is one shining example.

Tiger actually has grown on me. I'm still using Panther for all my work-related stuff until I can slowly move over to Tiger. But already, Panther feels incomplete. Tiger completes me.

ethank

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2003
If you're system is Core Image enabled, install the Core Image Fun House with the development tool kit.

Real Time photoshop. Infinite layering, all realtime, with instant saves to full rest TIF.

That my friends is revolutionary. Core Image will change a lot in terms of image editing.

Speed improvements across the board, especially with finder operations. Spotlight rocks, other apps are smoother, more functional with some nice little and not so little features. Quartz Extreme's performance is much improved.

Quicktime 7 is really sweet, especially pro with its new features. Memory management seems improved, as is SMP utilization. OpenGL in games is improved on my ATI 9800 at least. Disk access speeds and bootup seems faster. The new mail has some problems with large IMAP folders on my mail server, but otherwise is pretty nice, especially with Spotlight indexing it.

Power management on laptops is MUCH improved, with some nice usability improvements. Image handling in Finder is much nicer, as are burnable folders. Smart folders, once you use them will really make workflow easier.

Automater is cool for doing things like publishing to a webserver and pre-flight workflow checks on things, or even simple operations like weekly backups compressions.

Um.... what else is nicer:

little things like changing FUS to not using the full name (good on 12" powerbooks). Bluetooth is much better usage wise. Safari is faster and RSS is pretty cool, but I'm still using NetNewsWire right now.

iChat is faster and it seems more stable. Address book got some nice improvements, SMB is faster and more stable.

Well worth the money I'd say. Its not as immediate a realization as Panther (because of the finder change, etc), but its still very significant, especially under the hood. And like I said it contains two very disruptive, revolutionary technologies in Spotlight and Core Image.

Oh, and the interface has changed.

The top menu bar is rounded. The brush metal texture is less reptative and higher res and a bit toned down. Contrast on the scroll bar widget seems to be lessened.

Oh, and UI speed is so much faster its nuts.

JDOG_

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
Oakland
Blue Velvet said:
On the other hand, maybe I'm just being overly sceptical but it's interesting to note that the people who have acquired early copies are not coming here and raving about it.
Very true.

I think you're also right on about Apple saving some things to really compete with Longhorn when it comes out with 10.5 (I know that's looking waaay ahead) on the marketing front.

Frankly I'm just looking forward to Dashboard for getting a couple Apps off my dock (calculator, address book, stickies) and keeping me from having to jump to a browser to check the weather forcast. Spotlight will also be nice, but I think it's going to make me more anal retentive about labeling things from here on out to make them easy to find later.

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
On slashdot there was a guy who claimed speed improvements with his mac mini.

What get me with that link was a guy expected those water ripple effects and the core technologys to work on a mac mini, the cheapest machine! It clearly needs 64megs of RAM, the ATI 92000 isn't supported, Apple have had that on their website since Tiger was demo'd.

Plus he feels its more like a service pack. When did a service pack cost money and grant you new features?

rmhop81

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2005
Dallas, TX
i feel the same way though. I won't buy tiger, i think it's a waste of money.

i see alot of people saying they can't wait to try out dashboard and then they say the other features will be nice, why don't people use konfabulator? i've used that program for awhile and apple just ripped that company off by creating dashboard, which is the exact same thing. I personally think konfabulator is awesome and looks better than dashboard. you have the option of having it on your desktop or using it with expose', which is basically DASHBOARD.

i just see tiger as a few upgrades rather than a jump in operating systems. there is essentially no difference in appearance like someone mentioned....just better features on the programs that are already there. some of the programs for basic users aren't even needed. so i think that tiger won't sell that well for the basic user but only for the pro's or the people who make the tiger hype even bigger.

there's been a huge hype with tiger, and i think alot of the people are going to be dissapointed. i won't buy it even @ the education price of $69....i may get it if it's for $15 on my on campus store...but i won't shell out alot of money for it....just not worth it.

deltrotter

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2004
I take on board the argument of not having Dashboard exposed permanently.

But, if you have two monitors, can you expose it permanently on one of those??

Cheers

Del

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
rmhop81 said:
i may get it if it's for $15 on my on campus store...but i won't shell out alot of money for it....just not worth it.
It might not be worth so much now, but I think it'll be worth more once developers start pushing out Core-based apps.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
The question we must ask is... what defines a "revolution" worth $69-$95?

Is it something with 50 groundbreaking things that will instantly change how we work? (Sounds great--but disruptive!)

Or is it something with half a dozen big new features and hundreds of small ones, about half of which will affect any one user?

The latter is plenty to meet my expectations. The former is unlikely.

And I'm glad the UI isn't changing radically at every version.

rmhop81 said:
why don't people use konfabulator? i've used that program for awhile and apple just ripped that company off by creating dashboard, which is the exact same thing.
Not so:
http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/dashboard_vs_konfabulator

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
nagromme said:
The question we must ask is... what defines a "revolution" worth $69-$95?

Is it something with 50 groundbreaking things that will instantly change how we work? (Sounds great--but disruptive!)

Or is it something with half a dozen big new features and hundreds of small ones, about half of which will affect any one user?

The latter is plenty to meet my expectations. The former is unlikely.

And I'm glad the UI isn't changing radically at every version.

Not so:
http://daringfireball.net/2004/06/dashboard_vs_konfabulator
I'd like to know why a total desktop change is needed before people except a new version as a worthy release. Why does there have to be a huge cosmetic difference, I'd prefer under the hood enhancements. Its one critisim of Longhorn, the UI is changing drastically for its release, most suspect the change has been done because they can and not because they should. But then maybe like I pointed out just before, a desktop change in needed before people except a new version as a worthy release.

I'd buy Tiger merely for the speed improvements and spotlight itself. At the moment I'm broke, so I have to go without.:(

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Nermal said:
But so far, Tiger's been pretty good, expect that you can't customise number formats anymore, which is a pain considering that the default formats for NZ are wrong!
It is stupid things like this that regress an application or OS.

I take it you have Tiger and cannot change number formats?

I wish apple had taken the time to improve Finder.. like for instance, grouping directories - keeping them separate from files.

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
As for speed increases, I haven't been using it long enough to say for sure, but Tiger feels snappier and more reponsive than Panther. Safari aslo seems to be faster. For those who are intereseted in eye and ear candy, they have new desktop backgrounds and a new trash-emptying sound.

Edit: nothing big, but I noticed that the system profiler displays more information.

dbooster

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2004
and when there is huge hype, there is inevitably disappointment

er... I'm sorry, where was I? Kind of faded out there for a second. Ah yes, Tiger sucks, lets kill Apple, booo, hisss.

aswitcher

macrumors 603
Oct 8, 2003
Canberra OZ
Nermal said:
But so far, Tiger's been pretty good, except that you can't customise number formats anymore, which is a pain considering that the default formats for NZ are wrong!

USA only format? Your kidding...

ethank

macrumors member
Mar 23, 2003
Stella said:
It is stupid things like this that regress an application or OS.

I take it you have Tiger and cannot change number formats?

I wish apple had taken the time to improve Finder.. like for instance, grouping directories - keeping them separate from files.
Can't change number formats? What the hell are you talking about?

Attachments

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
ethank said:

you may like to quote the original text, instead of replies... ;-)

Panther allowed you to enter your chosen number format - i.e.,
choose the decimal and thousands separator and the currency symbol, rather than choosing a currency type from a combo box. From your screen shot, this doesn't seem possible as it was the case in Panther. This method is more flexible, but I suppose complete Noobs may be confused. From a user perspective, choosing your currency from a drop down combo is easier... but less flexible...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
ethank said:
In Panther, this same menu has a customize button next to the numbers that lets you swap commas and decimals, for those countries that represent one thousand and a half like:

instead of

Or whatever.

It doesn't seem to be in that picture. Or are there more options than Metric and US in the measurement pull-down now?