OSX Keeps Crashing. Want to reinstall OSX, but keep my Win7 Bootcamp partition

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Sunday Ironfoot, Jun 28, 2011.

1. Sunday Ironfoot, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2011

Sunday Ironfoot macrumors regular

New Mac user here. Ever since I received my 2011 iMac, I've had all sorts of problems in OSX with freezes/crashes. Right from the very start I've had the welcome/sign-up screen lock up because the built in iSight cam refused to start (had to force close the Welcome screen and restart).

Now I'm getting intermittent freezes, one I can replicate, selecting "About This Mac" from the Apple logo in the top right, if I then click "More Info..." then try to close the "About This Mac" window, it freezes. Also going to System Preferences and selecting "Displays" causes the Preferences window to freeze, and sometimes the Doc with it. Restart/Shut Down commands stop working, I have to force shut it down (holding power button).

Meanwhile, my Windows 7 partition has been running flawlessly. I'm just not getting this legendary OSX reliability everyone keeps talking about :mad:

-----------------------------------------------

Now before you go accusing me of being a troll, maybe my OSX troubles were caused by a dodgy app somewhere I installed, so I do have a genuine question:

I want to reinstall OSX but leave my Windows 7 Bootcamp partition alone. Is it possible to do this? Or will I have to reinstall Windows 7 as well?

Update: I should point out that I'm on 10.6.8

2. mrapplegate, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011

mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I don't use bootcamp, but I'm guessing you can re-install without having to delete the windows partition.

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I would back up any important info I have (on windows 7 and osx) and go for a clean install of OSX. I wouldn't put windows 7 on yet. I would want to see if the hangs and crashes are still present. If they are not I would go through the bootcamp install. If you are still having problems I would call apple and start the ball rolling on getting it fixed because your machine should not be doing that at all.

afaik you cannot do a clean install of osx and leave the bootcamp partition with windows 7 on it alone.

4. Sunday Ironfoot thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry to be a pain, but can a mod move this to the correct forum, thanks!

5. Sunday Ironfoot thread starter macrumors regular

So it's not possible? What would happen to the Windows Bootcamp partition? Would it stop working?

6. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

7. Sunday Ironfoot thread starter macrumors regular

OK, after yet another cold boot, the issues seem to have resolved themselves. Some other people have mentioned issues related to 10.6.8 which is what I have, so it could have been that.

8. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm pretty sure you can reinstall OS X without affecting the bootcamp partition.

9. Sunday Ironfoot thread starter macrumors regular

10. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

I reinstalled OS X after I have already run boot camp and installed windows 7. nothing on the windows partition gets touched when you reinstall OS X.