OSX Leopard slow on new 2.4ghz MBP? Hard drive the culprit?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RoskO, Feb 16, 2008.

1. RoskO macrumors member

Hey all, I just purchased a MBP 15", 2.4ghz, 2gb, 5400rpm drive. I have a Lenovo windows laptop with a 2.2ghz santa rosa, 3gb ram, but a 7,200rpm drive.

I am NOT intending to start a flame war, I don't want a this vs that thread, I just want personal experiences and what might help me speed up OSX. I chose a MBP because I knew I could run windows/OSX/linux on one system and test my software easily, and I think the design of the notebook is still superior to anything out there. The main issue I have had is that OSX seems...lazy....that's the best way I can describe it. I click on simple apps like firefox, thunderbird...etc, and it comes up maybe 5 seconds or more later. While it's not horrible by any stretch, it's not even close to as snappy as vista is with SP1 (in my opinion). I am almost positive it's due to my comparison of OSX on a 5400rpm drive and my windows laptop having a 7200rpm. Having 2gb or 4gb of ram in this case won't make a difference.

I guess I wanted to hear feedback of experience, people moving from 5400rpm to 7200rpm drives and if they noticed the OS speeding up quite a bit. I know vista runs like a pig on a 5400rpm too....just curious if OSX will be similar.

I went ahead and ordered a 7200rpm hitachi already...and 4gb ram for the virtualization....I just hope it fixes the slowness.

2. Amdahl macrumors 65816

I've read 7200rpm does make a big difference. But also make sure you are on 10.5.2, and then let the system run for 2.5 days of total uptime, reboot a few times during that period, and you will probably notice things improve quite a bit.