(OSX) Monitor Traffic by IP/Site + Monthly Log

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by ipsychedelic, Apr 20, 2016.

1. ipsychedelic macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Hello,

Does anybody know of an app that allows me to monitor traffic going on my Mac, but giving detailed info per website.
    For instance I want to know how much bandwidth is wasted on youtube, netflix, and so on.

I find that most apps available are useless for this purpose as they only monitor the usual "Mbs In/Out" and they all seem to do the same.

Little Snitch is close to what I want, but only allows for manual snapshots, there is no monthly log and I assume the same for the competitor HandOff (or w/e).

I guess I could try Wireshark and some heavy scripting but I was wondering if there is something already done out there.

On iOS, Apple itself has this built-in for data usage, which is great.

But on OS X it's a bit harder since you usually connect to the same website on different apps and such, making a "per app" approach not so interesting as a Website/IP approach.

I tried search but most of the time it's basically recommendations for "In/Out" traffic. I can already do that easily with DD-WRT, and I can even go further as to monitor per device by installing some kind of third party plugin.

Thanks for your time!

2. Waragainstsleep macrumors regular

3. ipsychedelic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Thanks for the reply.

No, I'm looking for software, not really interested in adding more hardware to the pipeline.

4. rnbwd macrumors regular

rnbwd

5. ipsychedelic thread starter macrumors 6502a

ipsychedelic

Sorry for the late reply, haven't been on in a while.
    Anyway, no, seems like it will only show the transfer speed and that's it.
    However thanks, seems like a pretty cool tool, may try to install it on the RPi for remote monitoring!