OSX says it can't fix my 2nd drive on startup?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sneak3, Feb 23, 2014.

1. sneak3, Feb 23, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2014

sneak3 macrumors 6502

So I have a 2nd hard drive replacing the optical drive. It's formatted in ExFat so I can access and write on it from both OSX and Win 7.

Every time I restart the mac or go from windows to osx, it will try to mount the 2nd drive and tells me that it "cant fix the drive, however I can still access it", like there was some seriously wrong thing going on with it.

I havent really used the drive yet, so Im not sure if I might lose data or not. Im afraid to store stuff in it.

Does anyone know if that really means something is bad or it just spams that message because of the ExFat thing?

ps: When I run "diskutil list", it says my 2nd hard drive is WINDOWS NTFS...even though Ive formatted it to ExFat via OSX...

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Did you install Windows on it? Do you have a third party system for writing to NTFS installed by any chance?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you installed windows on that second drive, the install process probably reformatted it to NTFS, as windows uses that over FAT at this point.

If Disk utility is showing NTFS, then odds are that's what occurred especially since the Disk Utility cannot format a drive to NTFS

4. sneak3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Actually no, The 2nd hard drive is just for file transferring between the 2 OSes.

I had just reformatted it in ExFat through OSX and it still showed NTFS. Weird stuff.

But Ive did some reading and I think Im better of with Paragon on OSX + NTFS formatted drive. Seems more secure.

Will keep ExFat for removable media only.

Thanks!