Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
Hello,

I have an annoying issue on my Mac Mini (i7 2011). When I leave it alone for a longer period of time (sometimes hours, sometimes one/two days) and then I log in again I just realize that the mac forced a reboot on its own.

Sometimes I can avoid this since a window from an application blocked the restart thus leaving me with the possibility of getting access to my previous session.

This is very bad, expecially when I have to leave my desk for something urgent and I expect to continue my work as soon as I am back.

The funny thing is that it does it not just in yosemite, but also with previous versions of the OS. It clearly seems to be a software thing - since sometimes I catch it while it is trying to do it and I see no kernel panic or stuff like that - any idea how to solve it?

AlanShutko

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2008
There is a setting in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Advanced: "Log off after XX minutes of inactivity". Check to see if that checkbox is selected. If it is, turn it off.

borgusio

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 22, 2011
There is a setting in System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General -> Advanced: "Log off after XX minutes of inactivity". Check to see if that checkbox is selected. If it is, turn it off.

Thanks a lot AlanShutko, this is exactely what I was looking for - it was set at 60'!

I googled it a lot, apparently the wrong way...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.