OT: Genius Bar Warranty vs Out of Warranty Rates

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chefwong, Mar 10, 2011.

1. chefwong macrumors regular

Just curious...as I recently has the drive cable inside my MBP replaced under Applecare. The receipt for both part and labor seemed ~fair~.

Just curious/wondering.....is the rates from the Genius Bar the same whether under Applecare or not. Similarly like in the auto industry where book rate under warranty is different than a ~paying customer~.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Why wasn't the cable replacement under Applecare free?

3. chefwong thread starter macrumors regular

It was.....

but there was still a workorder that showed the price of both the cable as well as labor charge...

4. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

not real numbers they are used for accounting purposes and do not reflect a non-warranty repair price.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

As for your original question, it's hard to say. I've never taken a computer in for repair as usually it's just cheaper to replace the part myself or even the entire computer.

However, I've noticed in the auto and motorcycle repair industry that you can often get a decent price or even free labor if you bring donuts with you. The owner of my local Kia dealer has caught on though and now provides daily donuts so I can no longer use the "donut discount". It might work at an Apple genius bar though.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

Believe it or not there is some room to negotiate. The above is true.