OT: What do you think of this dog food?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by JTTech, Aug 21, 2009.

1. JTTech macrumors member

JTTech

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I can't imagine that being healthy for the dog. :eek:

3. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Why not?

4. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

YIKES! As if mealtime wasn't a sloppy and chaotic enough cluster around here!

I'm guessing despite the catchy name, it's not actually soup ... which makes it sound that much more like a branding fail.

[Edit: Do you?]

5. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

I feed that to my Great Dane, in concert with their dry food line. That brand is recommended in Great Dane forums I've visited. I've tried both less and more expensive brands over the years (Iams, Canidae, Eagle Pack) and Chicken Soup is the brand that has been the most palatable to him, and he's healthy, shiny, and happy on it despite being a picky eater with a sensitive stomach.

6. JTTech thread starter macrumors member

JTTech

Correct! Here is the proof:
    [​IMG]

7. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

Do your pooches approve? More or less than (brand you used to feed them)?

8. JTTech thread starter macrumors member

JTTech

R6 [edit: and MKS-sorry I missed your post!] that's good to know that it's working for your Great Dane.

For me it'd be a Dachshund in the future, but one of my friends just moved into a new pet-friendly apartment...so she got a Terrier and is brand new at the whole dog ownership thing :rolleyes:

9. MKSinSA macrumors regular

MKSinSA

I'd never heard of it

It seems to get pretty good reviews from ConsumerSearch.com

PROS:
    Plenty of meat
    Good-quality ingredients
    Cheaper than the premium dry food

CONS:
    Contains more grains than some premium foods
    Harder to find than some other brands (why we have the intertubes!)

(In May 2007 ConsumerSearch was acquired by About.com ... and a part of The New York Times Company.)

10. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

It has no corn or cornmeal used as a cheap filler and instead uses higher-quality grains, which made it attractive to me at first as well. Though opinions on the use of corn in dog foods vary widely on said intertubes, my dog has done better on it than other foods with corn fillers, so I'm inclined to believe it's better than alternatives with them in our case. :)

11. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

We feed our 4 Danes Wellness. Chicken soup was a consideration eventhough the great dane lady doesn't recommend in her list of exceptables. But my wife does vast research on foods and if she thought about using chicken soup for our "babies" then it must not be that bad.

12. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

You have 4 Danes! I am jealous! I'd love to get another one but my husband is not entirely supportive of that idea yet. Probably because I kind of surprised him by getting the first one to begin with, though I did let him know about it on the day I went to see the litter. Why doesn't that count? ;)

I read through danesonline.com obsessively just before and after we got our Dane as well as a bunch of books. I had seen the great dane lady's site but haven't visited it in a while. I was really disappointed with Canidae – we tried it earlier this year just as they were going through an unannounced formula change. Our Dane went from being happy to eat it to looking at me woefully after I filled his bowl and ignoring it for as long as possible, followed by bouts of diarrhea. A little internet searching revealed that they changed the formula for their food without even noting it on the packaging. Apparently, they thought it was such a minor change that nobody would notice. My Dane noticed and my carpet cleaner was thrilled with the extra business she got from me. Never again! :mad: So, back to Chicken Soup we went...

13. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

I feed my beagles EVO, by Natura......

http://www.evopet.com/

I forgot to mention that it is 100% grain free

14. LeahM macrumors 6502a

LeahM

I also have my pom on the Evo Redmeat and he loves it! He was a picky eater but he loves the stuff. My fiance said it tastes pretty good. I'll take his work on that.

15. JTTech thread starter macrumors member

JTTech

You're right - there are so many varying opinions on the intertubes! I've been on the Dachshund forums and they can be helpful and confusing at the same time.

btw, when you mentioned feeding both the wet and dry Chicken Soup, do you mix them both and feed the mixture to your Dane?

16. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

Yep - I mix them together. He dives right into it! When I feed him dry food alone, he gives me the saddest puppy dog eyes ever and ignores the food until he's too hungry to care.

17. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I dunno, I don't find "Chicken Soup" to be nearly as tasty as other brands.

18. JTTech thread starter macrumors member

JTTech

Snoopy is that you talking, or your owner? (avatar gave it away :D ) From what r6girl says, her dog gobbles it up!

19. leannehammer macrumors newbie

I think she is right its nearly as tasty as other brands.

20. JTTech thread starter macrumors member

JTTech

In a survey of 9 out of 10 dogs...jk. It's good to know that it is tasty--always nice to see your dog chowing down with enthusiasm. :)