OTA software update question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Missjenna, Apr 29, 2012.

1. Missjenna, Apr 29, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2012

Missjenna macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

I've been out of the iPhone loop since september and this will be my first time updating ios5. If i choose to do a OTA update, will it completely wipe my phone as new as long as i don't restore from a back up? Or would my best option be update through iTunes?

The reason I'm curious is because i have limited data at home and would rather use the least amount of data updating. I have more other data than i would like and am hoping a update/restore will help

iPhone 4 running 5.0.1 if it matters.

EDIT: after a little more digging around, i got my answer. Sorry for the waste of space :p

2. FGB39 macrumors newbie

An OTA update does not wipe your iPhone. If you would like it wiped, go through iTunes and restore, it will also update it.

3. RolandNights macrumors 6502a

The update won't wipe your phone. If you're concerned about data usage, you can update over WiFi. I actually updated to 5.1 at Starbucks. :p

4. Missjenna thread starter macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

lol thanks for the answers :) I also read that things will get effed up since i am jailbroken.

Looks like i'll have to cruise over to the library in the next day or two, lol! I live in a rural area and we have literally no internet providers out here. Heck, I can't even get 3g on my iPhone, only edge, lmao.

5. bandofbrothers macrumors 601

bandofbrothers

You must be a very patient person to only use edge !

6. Missjenna thread starter macrumors 6502a

Missjenna

Like i said, i live in a rural area, so i gotta make due with what i have, lol. It's only edge at my house, when i get into the main part (population 1600 lmao) of my town i get 3g. We have a verizon hot spot here at the house, but we only have 5gb to use every month. The only other option for HSI is hugesnet, but thats not even an option lol. The hotspot works for now until the main ISP puts service out here.

7. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I had 5.0.1 jailbroken and did the 5.1 OTA update. When my phone restarted I was surprised and excited to still see the Cydia icon on my home screen. As soon as I tapped the icon though the phone rebooted and when it came back up the icon was gone. Since then I haven't seen anything out of the ordinary, and I haven't had to do a restore or reinstall of the 5.1