other safe places online to buy apple care

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Sossity, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Sossity macrumors 6502a

are there other places to get apple care for less than what it goes for from apple?

2. Perdification macrumors regular

You could probably go take a look at ebay. I wonder how they price it lower than what apple is selling. Won't they make a loss that way? It puzzles me.

3. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I would think that ebay doesn't exactly qualify as safe. Sure, some have successfully used it for legitimate AppleCare licenses. Others have been seriously "burned."

If you must use ebay, then insist on getting the AppleCare box. If you're given the number only, you have no proof that you and you alone own that license.

I got extremely lucky a few years ago during the round of CompUSA store closeouts. CompUSA had 50% off whatever AppleCare they still had in stock the last week of liquidation, and I managed to find the last iMac license in the store.

4. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

5. Goldenbear macrumors regular

I bought AC through eBay, getting only the code. It was a simple matter of going to Apple's web site and verifying the code worked.

It was from a seller with a good, long history. I also figured I could always dispute the charge through my credit card if it turned out to be fraudulent.

Sure there are risks with eBay, but you can minimize them.

6. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I have noticed that apple more and more requires a receipt from an authorized apple dealer even if the AppleCare registered ok. The problems may only appear when you need to use AppleCare.

7. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Really? Wow, that's a retarded policy! Who actually keeps their receipts? Other than hoarders like me, that is :eek:

8. Perdification macrumors regular

Yeah its always safer to get the whole thing including the box. There are recovery cds inside that might be handy. I'll never trust those that send you only the code. Maybe those that have bought AC through a reliable seller can post the seller's details here? That'll benefit everyone, the forum members and the sellers. :D

9. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Sorry, I went back to my email archives, but I can't seem to find any emails for my ebay transaction. Not sure what happened to them. If I find them, I'll post the info.

10. Perdification macrumors regular

Thanks! It would really benefit the other forum members! :)

11. oct0299 macrumors newbie

I just bought Applecare at B&H Photo after a lot of online searching. It was the least expensive of what I call reputable dealers (I have used them in the past for photo equipment) and less stressful than gambling on eBay. It comes in sealed, shrink wrapped box.

12. talkinghead macrumors member

talkinghead

Just bought AC from mac_central on eBay. Registered fine, has 100% feedback, so dunno. As was said, never know until you need it.

13. Keebler macrumors 68030

it's their way of preventing applecare fraud.

plus, you should keep your receipts for important things like applecare. the opposite of not having proof is having to pay alot of money for a repair.

I run a business so I have all of my receipts, but even for personal, I have a file folder for receipts. May sound crazy, but it's simple and has helped in a few situations.

14. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

The thing with buying it from ebay with a code is that you get the code. Then it registers fine, so you leave positive feedback. Only to find out 8 months later that the code was indeed fraudulent. But you cant go and change your feedback on ebay. You wont truly know its legit until you need it and apple denies service due to a bad code or asks for a receipt. And then either way your screwed and you just gave the seller positive feedback. So the feedback thing is misleading.

15. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

16. Perdification macrumors regular