"Other" taking up 88GB of Space on MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CEmajr, Jan 20, 2013.

1. CEmajr macrumors 601

Anyone here have any idea what the "other" data is or how to delete it? I have a 256GB SSD in my MBP and 88GB of it being unavailable is severely limiting. Interesting thing is that this 88GB was previously listed as "backups" so I deleted the backups and set my Time Machine to backup to an external HD instead. Afterwards I restarted my computer and now the space that "backups" was taking up seems to have been replaced by "Other".

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.

2. Ploki macrumors 68010

You people have "Pro" machines and that is your disk management?

Are you kidding me?

Get Disk Daisy if you can't handle it manually.

kids these days...

3. NMF macrumors 6502a

NMF

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Other is everything that doesn't fit in the other categories....which could be a lot of things lol

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

So you're saying the OP shouldn't buy a Macbook Pro because he isn't the most tech-savy? Remember, its only a "pro" because Apple brands it as that. Maybe they just wanted a PREMIUM laptop.

i second DaisyDisk though, it's in the Mac App Store. Grand Perspective is also a good freebie.

Disk Analysers like these are a great way to get a good look at what is on your storage, regardless of how how good your disk management skills are.

6. CEmajr thread starter macrumors 601

Yes I know "other" is everything that doesn't fit into a category. I'm mostly curious as to why after I deleted the "backups" the storage space it was taking up was just replaced with "other" rather than creating free space.

Thanks for those who suggested the file management apps. Will try them out and see what happens.

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I think it's more of a get smart type of thing. Back in the day we uused to have to actually read books to figure this stuff out. That question was a quick Google search. sought knowledge is retained given knowledge is not. This forum is like a huge MUG we should encourage people to be self sufficient if you did a bit of searching come with you question and what you found out or possible solutions. Same mentality as go to your boss with you problem and what you thnk the best course of action is not just the problem.

8. Ploki macrumors 68010

Yeah it came off a bit harsh. Still... the "All my files" and disk management like this is driving computers to be less and less interesting.

did you empty the trash?

9. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

people on here can be brutal. Wait a month and it should go away.