Other than Apple TV, which device(s) would I need to use AirPlay right now?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iSingandiDance, Nov 28, 2010.

1. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I know the iHome and a few other stereo systems are not available yet, but I'm really in the christmas mood and want to blast this music.

Other than Apple TV, which device can I purchase right now to successfully stream my audio?

2. iSingandiDance thread starter macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

I was thinking more along the lines of a stereo system that was compatible that is out now or would be out soon, but thanks.

3. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

You can plug the Airport Express into a stereo system, and if you get one that has an optical input, you can keep it digital all the way to your stereo. I use an Airport Express and it works brilliantly

4. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Airport Express plus any stereo system with an optical input will do you nicely.

I'm enjoying my newly bought one now. It really is a stroke of genius to get this product to stream music. What's otherwise a nice but pricey portable wifi router becomes an instantly gratifying source of pleasure.

5. chain752 macrumors newbie

Do you need another router to use it or can it be the only router in the house?

6. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

It can be the only router, as long as you don't have anything hardwired by Ethernet. (Only the one Ethernet port.) I switched off the wifi signal on my original router to test AirPort and found it managed fine.

(I changed the setup later so it could stay in n band mode for those gadgets that can handle that, while the older router handles b and g for everything else... At least I think that's what's happening with my current setup.)

Love it to pieces. Got the MacBook in the bedroom feeding iTunes to the old stereo, whilst simulcasting the same tracks to AirPort using Dolby ProLogic to make it surround in the front room, all controlled from my iPad. It's like living in the Space Age Bachelor Pad of the Future.

7. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

The other thing I'd add to the poster above's comments is that it can only work as the only router if you have an ethernet presentation from your ISP - Cable connections should be fine, but ADSL users will still need the ADSL modem / router

8. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

Yeah, true. I have a cable modem which sends an Ethernet connection to the router the ISP supplied. I would have been able to replace that router with AirPort Express.

9. newagemac macrumors 68020

If you don't need the routing functionality you would be better off with the new Apple TV. It has optical out and hdmi for connecting to your stereo. And of course it can do a lot more than just audio at the same price.

10. chain752 macrumors newbie

Thank you so much. Also is it possible to hook it up to existing wifi and connect it to a laptop or xbox 360?

11. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I can only speak for connecting it to a router by Ethernet. I gather that it may be possible to connect via wifi but it depends on your router, and is unsupported - unless you use another Apple one.

Once you connect, it gives lots of options (to be honest, I thought it'd be even more 'plug and play') for how you want to extend your network. It can blend in seamlessly, start a separate network, and other options.

12. Crosbie macrumors 6502a

Crosbie

I was tempted by this, but it was a bit too annoying to combine it with my current system. Note that AE has optical out too.