Other than from Apple, where is a good place to buy a black MacBook battery?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by dmk1974, Mar 30, 2011.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I bought a mid-2007 Black MacBook that did not have a working battery (I knew this when I bought it). I see a lot of batteries on ebay in the $30-$50 range. Is there a recommended buyer or other online store to buy from?

The model of the battery I need is A1185. Thanks!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Thanks. I had seen that first and of course didn't like the price. The reviews for the genuine Apple battery look pretty lousy as well though.

4. eman macrumors 6502a

I have used many third party batteries and they have all been fine.

5. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

Did you buy on ebay? If so, did you have a recommended seller? I've been looking at a few. Thanks.

6. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

If I do buy one for the $129 at the local Apple store, do they accept returns on batteries in the event that I wind up going with a cheaper ebay battery?

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I doubt they would take it back if you've used it. You can call them and ask.

8. mechanopony macrumors member

mechanopony

Last year, I got a replacement battery for my Macbook from the seller "topower_1" on eBay. It has actually held up better than my original Apple battery. (odd?)

9. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

If it's a computer battery, it will have complaints and lousy reviews.

10. vanwazltoff macrumors newbie

the black part is actually just a plastic sticker, you can take it off with a bit of time and buy a white macbook battery and take the plastic sticker off of it and replace it. on another note the battery doesnt HAVE to be black, a white macbook battery will work just fine.

11. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Maybe your cheap eBay battery just has a black sticker. The battery from Apple and NewerTech is made from actual black plastic.

12. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

13. vanwazltoff macrumors newbie

its from an apple because its my original macbook battery, i got curious as to how it was made and did a bit of taking apart and found out that it is just a piece of plastic with adhesive stuck onto the actual battery, makes sense if you think about it, because of manufacturing cost. i dont have to buy a battery yet, and i dont plan on it. try pealing yours back a bit you will see what i mean, its a bit weak around the rubber foot [dont know what its called but its the rubber part by the battery level indicator lights]

14. vanwazltoff macrumors newbie

so technically speaking, it IS a plastic sticker

15. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No, it's the case around the battery. You can call it a sticker if you like, but that's like calling the trim on your car (which is held on by an adhesive in modern cars) "plastic stickers". Using the word "sticker" implies (to me, at least) that it's not the actual case, it's something overlaid on the case. Simply having something held on by adhesive doesn't mean it's a sticker.

Maybe I'm just nitpicking, but it seems to be quite misleading to call it a sticker to me.