Other than not being able to get a non yellow LCD, im satisfied with applecare.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dallas112678, Apr 17, 2008.

1. dallas112678 macrumors 6502a

Well i just got my replacemnt again for like the 5th time and its a 9C82 and of course was terrible yellow on the bottom, but i called the same guy that took my engineering hold and he was very apologetic and he offered me a RAM upgrade to get the 4GB ram so i took it, im very happy they offered me this but i really hope i can finally get a non yellow display. I really dont want to have to ask for a refund but im tired of going through this, so heres to hoping my new fully maxed 15" MBP will have a good LCD.

2. jraneses macrumors newbie

It may be flawed thinking, but you'd think Apple would give more careful consideration to the quality of panel they put in the higher end machines, but it doesn't seem to make any difference whatsoever. I've been through 4 MacBook Pros over the past month, and I've about given up. Apple customer care shipped me an iPod Nano for my trouble, but their numerous apologies are now falling on deaf ears.

If anyone from Apple reads these boards:

I have money to spend, and I want to give it to you. All I ask is you objectively apply some quality control to your products, and I'll give you my business, no questions asked. I love OS X; I want to run it, recommend it, and convert everyone I know to use it. Yet, as I walk out of an Apple store with a new computer, I don't want to dread arriving home, fearing it will be defective as soon as I open the box.

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Heck, I'd pay for an extra cost option like the 17" hi-res that said "white evenly illuminated" on the 15". But it does seem like the 15" displays in general are lower quality than I'd expect for this type of machine.

I'm about 90% convinced to just move to the 17" hi-res just for the display quality. Even the MBA display was better quality wise than what I've seen on the 15".

4. jraneses macrumors newbie

I've went back and forth on getting a high res 17" as well. I know the 17" models have their own set of issues, but I've yet to see anything widespread regarding the display. I almost pulled the trigger on one last night, but just couldn't do it. After configuration, it was over 3k. I can afford it, but part of me thinks it's a waste of money. Yet, I wouldn't consider it a waste if the MBP arrived and was nice out of the box. My time and peace of mind is worth a lot more than money to me, and I'd be ecstatic to receive a well-built machine and put all this behind me.

Before I went to click the order button, I started thinking about everything I could buy with that extra money I'd be putting towards the 17". Two BlackBooks, or one BlackBook and an iMac. Or a 15" MBP with a bad display and a new TimeCapsule. And so on...

5. Kaupa macrumors regular

Hey,
    i got my panel replaced yesterday and it is Chimei and yellow again, so i will call apple again tomorrow (today there was no time for that).
    A friend of mine has the 17" high res model and i can say that is a DREAM!
    But as i cant spent so much money (i am still a student) i will hope for a better 15" panel...

6. dallas112678 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hopefully you dont have to go through as many replaces as me, but if my next one comes yellow ima ask for a refund and they better not even dream of asking a restocking fee.

7. snapper64 macrumors regular

How common is this problem with the MBP's? Im just a bit worrried seeing as I ordered a 15" one yesterday.

If the MBP I ordered the other day has this noticeable yellow tint on the display will I be able to get it replaced for free ?

8. dallas112678 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Since your within your first 14 days then yes, if after your first 14 days they usually want to repair it. The reason ive been getting mine replaced so easily is because at the begginning of a life cycle Apple likes to try and see whats wrong with the defects (in this case the bottom yellow) and they off your a replaced screen or a replaced machine in which your current machine would be sent to apples engineers to see whats going on.

9. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Hmm.. In all honesty, I don't think the yellowing of the display is a huge issue, even though thousands of you moan constantly about it. 9 out of 10 times, if you install a fully calibrated colour profile the yellowing appearance will vanish!!!

Give it a whirl.. there are loads of calibrated colour profile on one of the thread here, it'll definitely get rid of that horrid, washed out look that the default colour profile gives you.

10. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The yellow problem I see is not corrected with a profile (I've posted the profiles in the forum). The problem is a yellow band in the bottom 1/3 of the display. If the yellow could be corrected by a profile it would be a non-issue.

By contrast, the 17" hi-res LCD I have has no yellow band issue at all. And three others I've seen in stores also were perfect. I've yet to see one 15" that doesn't have yellowing in the lower 1/3. Some had it really bad and some less bad, but they all had it.

11. dallas112678 thread starter macrumors 6502a

This yellowing problem im talking about isnt the profile, if you calibrate the screen to make whites pure white, the yellow at the bottom sticks out like a sore thumb. If anything apples washed out default profile helps mask the problem.

12. PDE macrumors 68020

I'm really sorry that you got a yellow Chimei. It seems obvious to me that LED-lit LCDs are really not ready yet and perhaps Apple should have waited a little before using them in their laptops. On the other hand, the previous generation LCDs that were in the MBPs were pretty bad too with uneven backlighting, awful viewing angles and grain.

Anyway, hope your next one is good! And I hope I won't be writing this again in a week!

13. rjp macrumors regular

yellow

When you see the yellow at the bottom and white at the top, can you make the bottom look white by changing your viewing angle so you are looking directly at the bottom (straight on)? I can, and when I do this the top bar becomes pinkish from that viewpoint.

14. dallas112678 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope how i do the test, is a take the test image and put the screen perpendicular with the keyboard and life the computer up to my eye level so i put the top and bottom to my eye-level so there is no angle problem. Its when looking directly at the bottom its yellow and when i do the same thing with the top its white, if i saw this was an angle problem i wouldnt think much about it but since its not thats when i get dissapointed.

15. PDE macrumors 68020

Even if this were an angle problem, and I agree that it isn't, that wouldn't really be acceptable either, would it? I mean, the display should be even in color and illumination as long as we're sitting right in front of it, shouldn't we?

16. rjp macrumors regular

OK. Thanks for making that clear. Does the mac have a provision to rotate the output image? If so, try this and rotate 90 and 180 degrees and let me know what you see. I am wondering, does the yellow follow the bottom bar or is it always at the bottom of the screen? By this test I am trying to determine if the graphics processor is introducing the yellow.

17. dallas112678 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cant help you on that front, i already shipped the MBP back to apple this morning lol, they are going to order the new one once they see my MBP is on its way.

18. Jottle macrumors 6502

Did you ever get a non yellow screen dallas?

I just got my MBP (early 2008 model) and it exhibits this yellowing at the bottom of the screen. It's pretty obvious and pretty sad looking. My build date is late September 2008! So it looks like apple has still not been able to nail down this problem or they really just don't have QC for this kind of thing. So it's back to the apple store to get the screen replaced. My MBP is flawless otherwise, so why risk getting a whole new laptop with other issues. I'm just going to play the "new screen" lottery game that so many other on here have played and hope that I get lucky after the 3rd or 4th try :(

19. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

i have yet to understand why apple can't actually turn these replacement machines on and check them before sending them out. i understand on regular production machines this would delay everything, but if you are sending out a replacement, it seems to me you would want to insure it does not have the same issue. it's called quality control and customer service.

20. beerglass007 macrumors 6502

Hi

Hi all

How Can I tell if I have the yellow screen like everyone hear is talking about please?

21. Bubba Satori Suspended

Bubba Satori

Does it look yellow ?

22. Jottle macrumors 6502

Had the screen replaced twice now. And I've had two different SR macbook pros. First screen was as LG 9c81, no yellowing but it had a scratch directly from the damn applecare tech. My current screen is another 9c81 LG and it has OK color uniformity, but unfortunately it also has the same bottom third yellowing that my original screen had. This time the whole screen is much more uniform in overall white balance. So I'm thinking about keeping this one for awhile ;) It's true. You can get a 9c81 screen that doesn't have yellowing, but I imagine it's rather hit or miss. Considering I've had a total of 5 screens and new lids each time, I can safely say that many of these screens DO have the yellowish tint at the bottom. There's no way that 3/5 screen being yellow for me is any sort of bad luck. I'm just going to live with this as it's likely no going to do me any good going through the hassle of another repair. Too bad.