Other uses for Fluid…

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by eyoungren, Jan 25, 2014.

1. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I've been using Fluid to stream my Google Play library and today I thought I'd try using it for Pandora.

I have both PandoraMan and PandoraBoy which in their day were Flash based browsers specifically for Pandora. This was way back before Fluid and during the time when the only way to listen to Pandora was to go to the website and listen in a browser window.

So, I was interested to see how the hit on CPU resources would go. Turns out very well. With TenFourFox open and the Fluid app I made for Pandora, the system load is pulling about 30-40% CPU. Compared to the two dedicated apps I have that's a big improvement. They regularly peg my CPU around 80-100%.

Given that Fluid lets you make apps for any site I imagine you could also do this for Spotify or any other music oriented site.

Keeps PowerPC relevant.

Just a little sad that it seems the time I've had with my two Pandora apps is about to end. Great little apps.

Attached Files:

2. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

I think the native PPC Spotify app still works good. I just use iTunes Home Sharing though as I own my stuff.

Didn't you have a nice little Flipboard app going too?

Probably Evernote would work with Fluid too.

3. eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yeah, the Flipboard one is on one of my Macs around here. I don't use Flipboard too much so that was kind of an exercise to see what I could do.

I try not to create Fluid apps for every little thing because I don't want to be app hoping when I've still got a browser. And I do use the Spotify app for PowerPC. Just throwing things out there is all.

So far, Fluid has been a very versatile app. Just glad that most of the pre-1.0 versions were PowerPC.

4. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

I use Fluid to run a dedicated Wikipedia app (as the Wikipedia Dictionary plugin is messed up on my systems for some reason) and as a dedicated AirDroid client to run a pseudo virtual phone desktop (and the fact that 10.5 doesn't support MTP, I wish there was a MTP Fuse for Mac).

Both are pretty fast.

5. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Hmm. I havent gotten my Fluid app to work. Pandora message "IT is taking longer than expected to fetch the next song to play" Suggestions?

6. eyoungren, Feb 25, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2014

eyoungren thread starter macrumors P6

eyoungren

Change your UserAgent?

I tend to use one that has a current version of Firefox, Intel Mac 10.6.8 or 10.7.

EDIT: Or, since this is Fluid, you could grab a UA string that shows the latest version of Safari.

7. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Thanks!