Other ways of buying iPhone 3G at $199

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by prady16, Jul 1, 2008.

1. prady16 macrumors 6502

prady16

I do not have an iPhone currently and I am already with at&t and not eligible for an upgrade. That being said, i was wondering about these 2 ways of getting iPhone 3G for $199.

1. What if i buy a used iPhone from some one, activate it on my account and then on July 11, go to at&t store for iPhone 3G. Will i get the $199 price?

2. What if i walk into the at&t store with an iPhone 3G already in hand? Will they activate if on my account for free or a small fee? I have a friend who wants to sign a new contract with at&t, but doesn't want the iPhone. Can he transfer the device on my name?

Thanks.

2. tritonj macrumors 6502a

1. no, (eligibility has nothing to do with whether you activate an iPhone on your account or not, it is just like any other phone, if you took the subsidy it is noted on your account and what phone it came with)

2. could work i suppose

or how about this as a third option, you sign up for a new line with an iPhone and just transfer your existing one to your phone

3. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

No, you are still not eligible for an upgrade. You were still subsidized within the past 2 years.

So what is your friend going to do? Still pay for an iPhone plan for 2 years and you get to use the phone?

4. prady16 thread starter macrumors 6502

prady16

3rd option? Can you please explain how that would work?

5. prady16 thread starter macrumors 6502

prady16

He is planning to get a family plan with 1 additional line. He wants 1 iPhone for himself and will give me the other iPhone. Can't he revert back to the regular family plan with $10 for an additional line?

6. okayjustin macrumors member

Ok so this is exactly the same question I had in mind.

CAN SOMEBODY HELP?

Will the Apple Store be selling their iphones for $199 at the store? I'm pretty someone will be selling the phone somewhere for something CHEAPER than that uneligible price of $599.. because i'm not eligible and that is way too much for me to pay up front.

What is the process if I get the phone to get it activated since i didn't buy it from ATT or whatever?

7. tritonj macrumors 6502a

in that case my suggested 3rd option doesn't work

i was going to say that if your friend is getting a normal line, then you just open up a new account with ATT, which you can do if your credit is good enough, and then just transfer the old account to your friend

but since he wants a family plan account this won't work

8. prady16 thread starter macrumors 6502

prady16

Damnnn.... Why does this have to be so complicated?
    So, i can open a new account, and transfer my old account to my friend, who can later change it to family plan? But will i be able to keep my old number?

9. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

But wait, there are plenty of iPhone owners that are eligible that technically had a subsidized phone within the last 2 years. I had a whole thread on it. How would buying an iPhone now, used, before the 11th, and activating it to your account not make you eligible? Seams no different than all the other eligible iPhone owners.

10. prady16 thread starter macrumors 6502

prady16

That gives me an idea! If i can find current iPhone owners who do not want the iPhone 3G, but dont mind getting their contracts extended, could technically upgrade to the new iPhone 3G and transfer the device to my name!

Am i missing something here?

11. christf10 macrumors member

christf10

Then they would be tied to the 3G more expensive data plan. If they get out of it then they'd had to pay back the subsidy. I really don't think there is a way around it.

12. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Or has anyone confirmed just borrowing a friends iPhone, putting your 3G sim card in it, connect it to iTunes, activate a new iPhone plan, then just give the iPhone back to your friend, would that then make you instantly be eligible?

I see it no different than buying an iPhone prior from Apple refurbished, craigslist, etc, activating a plan, then end up selling it at a later time and upgrading to the new 3G. But here, a friend gives you the iPhone, say as a hand me down, you acivate it, but then you want the new 3G, so you then give the iPhone back as a hand me down to the same person.

13. tritonj macrumors 6502a

you guys are missing the point, the normal upgrade rules apply, the only difference i they are saying that for those who bought iPhones in the last year and still in the middle of the contract as a result of that purchase, they are giving a reprieve and allowing them to get the subsidized price. you can't just borrow someone's phone and stick your sim in there and then automatically get a subsidy, that just makes no sense

14. okayjustin macrumors member

Will apple sell the phone for $199???

Can't i just buy it somewhere and then activate it at ATT?

I am not eligible for an upgrade yet though. Someone explain?

15. showtime macrumors 6502

current iPhone customers are eligible for the $199 subsidized price. If you purchase an used iPhone and activate it before July 11 you are in the same situation as the current iPhone owners who are eligible to upgrade. At&t specifically says "if you purchased an original iPhone prior to July 11th, you're automatically eligible to upgrade to iPhone 3G at the $199 price plus a $18 upgrade fee."

This being the case, I don't see why you can't purchase any used iPhone before July 11th and activate it. In fact if you're going to upgrade at the unsubsidized price it might even be more cost effective to try and purchase a used iPhone for ~$300 and the new 3G iPhone for 200 which would be a total of $500 for 2 iPhones vs $400 for just one.

16. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

But they say all iPhone owners get to upgrade, all. And there are plenty of iPhone owners that have had a subsidized phone in the last 2 years before they got it. So what's the difference of starting an iPhone plan now compared to someone 6 months ago?

Someone in the last year could have got a free subsidized phone first, then bought the unsubsidized iPhone right after. If normal upgrade rules apply, they shouldn't be allowed to upgrade until that subsidized phone was finished off. Yet, some how all iPhone users are giving a free ticket to the next one despite their upgrade status.

And how does ATT tell if the iPhone was bought from them, or an Apple store, or ebay, or off craigslist, or a gift. I assume the decision is based off of having an active iPhone account done through itunes.

So back to my point, say you bought an iPhone before the 11th, just as they said, you are upgrade eligible. How can they tell the difference if you bought it off ebay or a friend lent theirs to you for a short time.

17. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

you still have to activate even in an apple store.

18. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

That's what I mean. As long as you get your hands on an iPhone before the 11th, be it bought from ebay, craigslist, and activate, you are eligible. Then I assume you can then sell it back before even the 11th and still be eligible, as many iPhone owners have done to prepare for the new upgrade. And how can ATT tell if you borrowed an iPhone from a friend to just activate.

19. showtime macrumors 6502

That would probably be the best way to do it. Borrow an iPhone from a friend, activate a new contract with the phone, restore and return it to your friend, and just use the iPhone contract on your current phone. You'll show up as a current iPhone customer in their system which would make you eligible come July 11th.

20. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

And the person you borrowed the iPhone from only has to put their sim card back in, and possible restore their contacts by syncing it up with their iTunes later?

21. cmeriptahoe macrumors member

Can anyone confirm whether or not this will work? Because I'm not currently eligible for an upgrade but could easily borrow one from a friend and make this scenario happen.

22. cmeriptahoe macrumors member

Or like someone else may have mentioned, is it possible to just add another line to my family plan and get the subsidy that way?

23. cdd543 macrumors 6502

cdd543

Of course you could do that as you are adding a new line of service.

24. cmeriptahoe macrumors member

Well yes but it only costs something around 10 dollars to add a new line. I guess I could just do that and then stick my sim in that phone. Hmm.... possibilities.

25. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Cause AT&T doesn't want to lose money from subsidiaries so they try to cover all the loopholes.