Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
I think a handsfree devices are certainly more convenient than having to carrying a phone. Which is why the watch and eyeglasses are popular wearable items. But what else is there?

I’ve always wondered why something along the lines of a thick wristband or forearm band could be popular. With flexible LED panels, it could find a place in the wearable space. It’s hands free like a watch but with a much greater area to play with.

MayaTlab

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
Which is why the watch and eyeglasses are popular wearable items.

Smart watches penetration is starting to ramp up but is nowhere near the penetration of other devices, and smart glasses are nowhere to be seen in the real world.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Smart watches penetration is starting to ramp up but is nowhere near the penetration of other devices, and smart glasses are nowhere to be seen in the real world.

No of course not, but in terms of wearable ‘locations’, the two directions thus far has been watches and eyeyglasses.

MayaTlab

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2007
It remains to be seen whether the general public, a decent chunk of which seems to be ready to spend hundreds of millions per year not to have to wear glasses, will find enough value in AR ones to let them take up real estate on their face. And what I feel is that people will increasingly want to be less and less feeling like they're constantly being pushed notifications or screens, or even technology in general. There is plenty of great stuff that can be done with AR glasses, but I have yet to see even a concept for a general public product that can break through ethical concerns and social acceptance without diminishing the visual AR value component to such an extend that it becomes mostly pointless. IDK, for example, how can we have AR without a camera system on the glasses, and that's already a pretty major ethical and social barrier to climb for a general purpose, ubiquitous and all day pair of glasses.

You forget one location though, that's already seeing OK consumer acceptance - all the more so since the introduction of true wireless earbuds : the ears. While I doubt that people will find it socially acceptable to be wearing all day small, discreet earbuds, particularly during extended social interactions, even in transparency mode, I can see a form of partial ubiquitous AR coming first to the audio medium instead of the visual one. Improve the APP's comfort and fit, battery life and transparency mode, and voilà you've managed to put a speaker in people's ears they can easily wear for 8-10 hours a day. It could prove quite something if I were to visit Japan in several years and hear all the public announcements in the metro rapidly translated to English on the fly (Google is bound to get there at some point) ...

Reactions: veena3
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.