Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Discussion in 'iPhone Launch Meetups' started by Azure571, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Azure571 macrumors newbie

Capital of Canada!

Only Apple Store we have here is in the Rideau Centre though. Last year I lined up for the 3GS at a Rogers store, though last time, many people were pissed off when employees came out beforehand and told people they will only sell to "upgrade or new contracts only"; I imagine it'd be the same again this year.

I'm planning to buy one outright this time, no contract, and will just pop in my existing SIM. I'd have to line up at the Rideau Centre for this one.

Anyone have any idea of where you line up, and how rowdy it is? Is it really a dash to the front once the doors open, like everyone says?

2. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

you already have an existing microsim?

3. iluvifone macrumors 6502

The Rideau Center doors are open 24/7. I used to work till about 4 a.m nearby, and would walk through it to catch a taxi on mackenzie king bridge. You'll usually find cleaners walking through the hallways, as well as homeless people just floating around. You could just go and sit next to the apple store, but be prepared for a MAD rush when the doors open (people who aren't in the line will try to sneak in!). Good luck

4. Cheezewhiz macrumors member

I'm thinking that I'll probably end up lining up at Rideau assuming that there's no preorder. Still can't decide between white or black, assuming white will even be available.

5. MikeNemat macrumors regular

I've decided to line up at Apple Rideau. If they are only selling them unlocked, I'll buy it unlocked. If they are doing upgrades, I may consider upgrading through Rogers.

What time are you guys going to line up at? I thought the Rideau center closes at 1AM? When does it reopen? Is it actually open 24/7? If not, where are you guys going to line up?

I'm probably going to start lining up around 3 or 4AM. Too early, too late?

6. Cheezewhiz macrumors member

I'm thinking of going around 6 or so if I do decide to go to the apple store. I'm still not sure if I'm going unlocked or not, and if I don't then I might just go go best buy.

7. MikeNemat macrumors regular

When does best buy open?

8. Cheezewhiz macrumors member

10 apparently. I've called the apple store and they said that they will have unlocked phones as well as being able to do HUPs. I think my plan is to go to the Apple Store around 5, considering it opens at 7.

9. MikeNemat macrumors regular

I went to Apple Rideau today and they confirmed HUPs in store as well as selling unlocked phones. The guy said that the mall opens at 5AM but mall security will be organizing a lineup outside the mall before that. He said that he cant really guarantee how the lineup will work but as far as they know, that's the plan.

He also said that they are getting "plenty" of iPhones, similarly to the iPad launch. Not sure what that means, but I'm optimistic :)

10. inottawa macrumors newbie

inottawa

So 5am open and they're organizing a line up outside the rideau centre? There are at least 5 entrances. I'll assume that they're talking about the main rideau entrance

11. MikeNemat macrumors regular

I have no clue which entrance or how it's going to work :/ I'm guessing it's going to be a mess..... I may swing by Apple Rideau again today after work to get more info.

12. inottawa macrumors newbie

inottawa

PM me, maybe I'll head down too.

13. Azure571 thread starter macrumors newbie

What time is everyone heading down at? I'm thinking 5AM =/ Not sure if it's too late though, seeing as how it opens at 7

14. MikeNemat macrumors regular

15. Azure571 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just got back from Rideau.
    It was quick and easy. Except they took everyone in one by one @_@

Edit: Oh and the line when Apple opened was disgustingly long hahaha. I feel bad for the people at the back

16. Riiick macrumors newbie

Stock?

Anyone went to the apple store at rideau recently? any news on stock? Don't feel like driving there and paying 15$ parking to find out they don't have any...

Thanks !

17. bowzer macrumors 6502

bowzer

I'm pretty sure they are out... I think someone said they ran out Saturday evening. They had about 1,200 when I was in line at 5am on Friday

18. enarra macrumors newbie

My husband checked the Apple Store at noon today. They have new stock and there is a line-up (again?).

19. Riiick macrumors newbie

I went at 3:30, there was about 15-20 in line, they only had 6 cards left for some 16 gigs model... Looks like i'll have to wait a couple of days...