Otterbox Defender for the new iPad: Plastic or no plastic over the rear camera hole?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by anthrovisual, Mar 22, 2012.

1. anthrovisual macrumors regular

Really simple question folks: Is the new Otterbox Defender for the new iPad (3rd generation) supposed to have a transparent plastic shield over the rear camera hole?

I've had Defenders for the iPhone and the rear camera hole was always covered with transparent plastic. My Otterbox Defender for the new iPad does not and I just want to make sure this is normal and not a defective case. I'm guessing it is since there is no cover over the speaker so maybe this is Otterbox making a compromise between protection and performance.

I've had issues with cases in the past not having certain parts (currently my iPhone Defender does not have the guards that cover the speakers at the bottom, but I have not gotten around to contacting Otterbox about it.

I tried calling them but their staff is stretched with orders I think.

Thanks.

2. Stouver macrumors member

This doesn't really answer the question you asked but I ordered the exact same case last week and it makes the retina display look like ass. It was so grainy I decided to return it. Only way I would have ever used that case is if I was constantly in the mountains or something.

3. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm. I have to agree. I noticed the graininess instantly after putting it on and am wavering about returning it. I'm just super paranoid about protecting this thing that has a huge screen and costs a ton (for most).

I'm beginning to look into alternatives but I know the quality that Otterbox produces and wanted this to work.

4. BESLC macrumors regular

I ordered the Defender on March 7th,as soon as the Ipad arrived on the 16th it was apparent the screen protector was a no go, I have returned the case.

5. anthrovisual thread starter macrumors regular

Well, now I have a new question which I will post separately: :(

What case provides the most protection without detracting from the screen's clarity?

6. BESLC macrumors regular

I know some are removing the screen protector ,going without or adding a conventional screen protector while still keeping the case.

I could have done the above,but my feelings were,why should I have to mod this case. Even if someone was not bothered by distortion, I feel the material on the screen protector will scratch and mar,so it would still require some other solution. Perhaps Otter Box will have a v2 which will address the issue, for now and for $90.00 I have returned the case.

I have a Marro Moko on my Ipad,it is leather,but the design provides excellent protection as well as looking nice...watch the videos on Marroo's site, pretty amazing what the case will withstand. I also like the fact the full screen is uncovered.

7. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

my new otterbox i got for my 4 is meant for the 4s and it does not have protective plastic over the camera hole...but it does by the apple logo? not sure the logic there