Otterbox defender + sprint iPhone 5 = poor LTE and 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jenzo, Oct 19, 2012.

1. jenzo macrumors member

I have used the otterbox since day 1, and wondered why I almost never see the LTE signal. i started using sensorly which allows you to see the strong coverage areas. I would need to be smack on the tower for any signal. Took the iPhone out of the case tonight, and saw lte constantly! Night and day difference. I am going to go to some other areas to test, but I think this case is affecting signal.

See if your experience is similar.

-jenzo

2. gldubzakjr macrumors member

gldubzakjr

That doesn't make any sense at all since the OtterBox Defender is nothing but plastic; unless you've added something into the mix. I've got an iPhone 5 on Verizon and the OtterBox Defender, I live in the country and I always have excellent LTE coverage just about everywhere I've been. Check inside the case for a stray piece of metal...

3. jenzo thread starter macrumors member

I don't think it's a fluke and its not going to present as badly since Verizon has a mature lte deployment I'm in la and sprint has just begun Turning on lte. I'm not kidding there is a night and day difference. I don't know how to enter developer mode and turn bars to signal db but I will test further. I just got lte signal in my house and have NEVER seen lte in my house, i just chalked it up to being on the fringe area of lte coverage. Put case on and no more lte!

Something is happening I am sure of it...

4. jomirrivera macrumors 6502

5. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Sprint and Otterbox just sounds like a double fail :(

I find it funny the display models at Apple Stores, that have no SIM cards installed, are Sprint models. Probably least desirable, and they can easily block the stolen ones on CDMA.

6. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

7. jenzo thread starter macrumors member

This isn't a bash sprint thread! I get very usable and fantastic lte speeds with the case off... Posting some tests in a short while.

8. jenzo thread starter macrumors member

I am on my phone that has all the photos on it. Bottom line the otterbox case effects the lte signal and not just a little. If 2-3 bars of lte are available then speed are 2-10 Megs down and 1-4 up. With otterbox on the speeds are .10 to 1.2 megs down and non completing uploads after a few minutes lte would drop back to 3g. As soon as I removed the case lte would come back and resume the same speeds. I can't be the only sprint user who is seeing this phenomenon....

-jenzo

9. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

How do you know they are Sprint models?

10. jk4lebron23 macrumors 65816

jk4lebron23

Settings>General>About>Carrier

11. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

oh well what difference does it make what carrier they are lol if they were ATT would you say the same thing? I'm sure not all of the iPhones in the apple store are sprint only, especially since in my area all the apple stores are in malls and usually in the vicinity of a carrier store like AT&T or Verizon, with the ghost armor somewhere close to the apple store to snag up unsuspecting people into buying their terrible carbon fiber

12. mallow macrumors newbie

I have a Sprint iPhone 5 that I put in a Otterbox Defender case on day 1. I'm really interested to find out if the case is messing with the signal quality. I live in a Sprint LTE area and get either excellent coverage or back to 3G.

Love the Defender case though.

13. mallow macrumors newbie

14. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I live in a weak 3G area of AT&T. I tried the Incase slider on my iPhone 5 and the 3 bars I previously had went down to 1. It seems like cases definitely affect reception especially if you live in an area with not perfect signal strength.

15. Resqu2 macrumors 6502a

My experience also, I'm sooo glad to be rid of Sprint.