Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I used the belt case for one week straight and the two clip points where the case meets the clip seem to rub the silicone very bad...

Anybody else noticed this?

I emailed Otterbox regarding this and sent them photos but the one rep said "I do not see any damage" so I told him I not a pro photographer and sent them more pics...

Seems there CS was much better in the past...

i am still waiting word back but will see what the issue is..;;

I am past the return period btw so I have no choice but to turn to Otterbox regarding this..

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I had the same issue and sent them high the pics just after release day of iphone5. My case was damaged within 24 hours.

They told me they could not help me until the 21st but to take it back where I bought it. AT&T store replaced mine. I out in in the belt holder and low and behold it slightly cut into silicon again. I won't use the belt clip anymore. I posted my pics somewhere in thread here I believe. Of you need them let me know. Plenty of people have the same issue.

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I had the same issue and sent them high the pics just after release day of iphone5. My case was damaged within 24 hours.

They told me they could not help me until the 21st but to take it back where I bought it. AT&T store replaced mine. I out in in the belt holder and low and behold it slightly cut into silicon again. I won't use the belt clip anymore. I posted my pics somewhere in thread here I believe. Of you need them let me know. Plenty of people have the same issue.

Cableguy I bought mine from Amazon.com LLC and cannot return it to them so I have no choice but to deal with Otterbox...

I am really pissed man... I use the clip and for the $$$$ spent on Otterbox I feel taken for :( If you have the photos handy lmk cause it must be a serious flaw

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
It's funny when you use the clip and face the phone outwards the clip works great. When you face the body towards you it digs into the silicon.

When I flipped the clip it started doing it to the other side. So I tried with face of phone out and it works bets that way, but I rather protect my screen. Hope you get it resolved. Google otterbox iphone 5 damage and you will se emore threads about it.

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    554.2 KB · Views: 295
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    496 KB · Views: 295
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    705.2 KB · Views: 342

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
It's funny when you use the clip and face the phone outwards the clip works great. When you face the body towards you it digs into the silicon.

When I flipped the clip it started doing it to the other side. So I tried with face of phone out and it works bets that way, but I rather protect my screen. Hope you get it resolved. Google otterbox iphone 5 damage and you will se emore threads about it.

yup it looks identical to my situation...

I posted on their FB page and there social media CS asked for a email so hopefully then can assist me..

Will keep you updated

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
yup it looks identical to my situation...

I posted on their FB page and there social media CS asked for a email so hopefully then can assist me..

Will keep you updated

Hopefully they do the right thing..sucks cant use it for its full potential, but it is a beast of a case.

titans1127

macrumors 65816
Mar 10, 2009
My defender developed the same problem with the clip scuffing the rubber after about an hour of use and maybe 5-10 removals. Pretty disappointing to say the least.

cableguy619

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
I think I might end up hating you...

Mine has a little bit of it now (got this Thursday)

lol kind of sucks.. if you look at the side the screen at the clips they look like they would better suit sitting in the other direction. If you place your phone screenside out it slide sin with easy no snag or tares..

iamartimus

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2010
Wirelessly posted

Mine happened the same day I got my 5, got a replacement from AT&T 2 days later. 2 days after that, same thing. I just left it already and going to deal with for a little while longer then file another claim with Otterbox. Until they fix the design flaw, this will keep happening. And no, I keep my screen facing in, and I'm going to keep it like that.

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I used the belt case for one week straight and the two clip points where the case meets the clip seem to rub the silicone very bad...

Anybody else noticed this?

I emailed Otterbox regarding this and sent them photos but the one rep said "I do not see any damage" so I told him I not a pro photographer and sent them more pics...

Seems there CS was much better in the past...

i am still waiting word back but will see what the issue is..;;

I am past the return period btw so I have no choice but to turn to Otterbox regarding this..

I have the OtterBox for the iPhone 5 and I have no issues with it at all whatsoever, I'm also rough on the case taking it out of the box and using the hip clip. No damage to my rubber!

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I have the OtterBox for the iPhone 5 and I have no issues with it at all whatsoever, I'm also rough on the case taking it out of the box and using the hip clip. No damage to my rubber!

when did you purchase yours and where if you dont mind.... maybe you got the "new batch " :)

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Man ohhhh Man I cannot believe the ordeal I am going through with Otterbox regarding this....

Loyal customer since my 3GS ...

Never ever again ..... will they get a dime from me...

ARH1956

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2007
NE Alabama
Mine does not have this issue thus far. I bought mine from Amazon before they were available on the Otterbox website. I received the Otterbox on Sept. 20 and have used it exclusively with the holster since. I always place the face of the i5 in towards the clip and take it out at least 25 times daily.

RickG

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
my silicon is chew-up after two weeks of useage- Im sure the silicon will fail at some point after continued use- the holster is way too dificult to insert / eject the phone- I hope that they come up with a replacement solution- for $50 this is unacceptable- i will be contacting otterbox for my repacement when necessary...

Juicy D. Links

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
my silicon is chew-up after two weeks of useage- Im sure the silicon will fail at some point after continued use- the holster is way too dificult to insert / eject the phone- I hope that they come up with a replacement solution- for $50 this is unacceptable- i will be contacting otterbox for my repacement when necessary...

Rick ....

I feel your pain man..

Any comparable alternatives to Otterbox?

Seems I am getting shafted here and will just take the $$$ lost and lesson learned... I hope this thread will save any potential OT customers from wasting 35 -50 bucks on a sub par version this time around.

----------

This person at OT social media CS wants me to send them my case.... wait... then once they get it they will send me new one...

WTF????

I sent them my Amazon receipt , numerous photos .... this is ridiculous tbh....

i even offered to give them my CC info and do advanced replacement...

This is like pulling these...

Anybody thinking about OT save your receipts and dont wait till after 30 day period...

iAdamator

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2013
South San Francisco, CA
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but does anyone know if this issue was ever fixed? Or if the new model for the 5S does this as well? I'd like to give OtterBox another chance, but the way the belt clip rubs on the side of the case is really bad...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.