Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Otterbox, a popular iPhone case manufacturer known for its highly protective cases, today launched the Exo Edge, a new series of cases designed for the Apple Watch.

Priced at $29.95, the cases are available both for the Series 3 and older Apple Watch models and the newer Series 4 and Series 5 models, which have a larger display.

otterbox1-800x666.jpg

The cases are designed to fit around the bezel of the Apple Watch, adding a thick bumper that protects it from damage if the wrist is accidentally hit against something.

Each Exo Edge Case is designed to fit around the Digital Crown, and it covers the Side button on the Apple Watch for additional protection. Speakers on the alternate side are left open, and the back remains uncovered so the heart rate sensor continues to function.

You can use any Apple Watch band with the Otterbox Apple Watch cases, and the cases themselves are available in pink, black, white, and beige.

otterbox2-800x676.jpg

Exo Edge Apple Watch cases can be purchased from the Otterbox website for $29.95, but there is a 25 percent sale going on right now that drops the price to $22.46.

Article Link: Otterbox Launches New Apple Watch Cases

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
Wow, ugly... but I can see that they could be useful for someone in a sort of “mechanical” job... but also, to each their own

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
To me, this takes of the appeal away from the Apple Watch. Because Apple invests a lot in their metals, like the 7000 Series aluminum, 316L stainless, titanium all look really nice. And personally adding some silicone case detracts away from the look of the Apple Watch aesthetically. But I get it, there are those who want the protection if they work in a harsh environment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ntombi

tkukoc

Cancelled
Sep 16, 2014
Nice to see them jump into the Apple Watch Case market. Their name alone will help sell these. Definitely a plus for those who want a case. You can get these a little cheaper (19.95) via Apple's online store for those interested.

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
I have never understood the point of apple watch cases.

I thought the same but one of my friends wears an Apple Watch case. I once asked him why he bothered and he said it was because of his job moving things around in a warehouse it gets bumped around a lot. Which is a pretty good reason tbh. So for those people a watch case is needed.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
I think some are missing the point here, I see a lot of ‘ugly and bulky’ comments, which we already know that. But I think for those who actually consider this product, don’t care about the bulky/ugly look, they want to protect the Apple Watch from potential damage pending the type environment they are involved in.

If I had worked in an environment where there’s physical contact with my wrist, this would be the perfect investment for the Apple Watch, no one cares about looks in these types of scenarios.

seeforyourself

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2014
I bought a clear case for $8 which has a built in screen protector. My 4 series when I got it got all scratched up from me slamming my wrist everywhere because of the added inch lol.

I bought the case protector after my watch’s ECG failed and Apple replaced it for free under warranty. I was actually going to replace the display anyways for $69, but luckily the ECG failed before I did it.

the case is nice, but it’s annoying if it gets wet and water gets stuck in it. It’s a great idea though since one time with the case I dropped it while putting it on in my tile bathroom and fell face first. Would of 100% destroyed my watch if I didn’t have the case
image.jpg

Reactions: Lazy

Rymal

macrumors newbie
Jul 21, 2017
East Texas
I think some are missing the point here, I see a lot of ‘ugly and bulky’ comments, which we already know that. But I think for those who actually consider this product, don’t care about the bulky/ugly look, they want to protect the Apple Watch from potential damage pending the type environment they are involved in.

If I had worked in an environment where there’s physical contact with my wrist, this would be the perfect investment for the Apple Watch, no one cares about looks in these types of scenarios.
Absolutely.... there is a competitor to this case which sells a similar bulky case, which protects the watch very well, as does the Otter case. Bulky and ugly, but it has a purpose in function rather than delicate style and design.

Years back, I had the first watch and back then, there were no cases. I tripped while hunting. I cracked the glass. With about a 1/4" bumper rising from the lens, there is a very likely chance the glass would not have been damaged.

It is definitely a "to each their own". In my situation, I don't care about the looks, but I do want to protect my watch. I appreciate what Otterbox has done.

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Where is the case for my car though.

Seriously, the other day I saw „condoms“ to put over your sneakers to keep them clean ... where will it end. personally, I rather put this money towards people in need, let’s say in Venezuela who’s citizens cannot even afford a roll of toilet paper that costs half a month salary and we r talking about a case for a watch here ??‍♂️

Unami

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2010
Austria
one time with the case I dropped it while putting it on in my tile bathroom and fell face first. Would of 100% destroyed my watch if I didn’t have the case

I wouldn't count on that- I've dropped my series 0 more times than I can count - including on tiles - and it's still chugging along fine. Thise iDevixes are more robust than you'd think - and getting better.

wardie

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Incoming news: “Otterbox announce iCase Case, a case to protect your valuable devices’ cases”

Reactions: Huck

RyuOnline

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2019
Sheffield, England
I’ve had cases since got the Apple Watch, from toughness cases to purely atheistic looking cases.

I love multiple combos of cases & straps I’ve got.
image.jpg

[automerge]1575399244[/automerge]
Just to add to this, I have cases for my phone too.

a case for each scenario you could say.

⌚️ ?

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
I’ve had cases since got the Apple Watch, from toughness cases to purely atheistic looking cases.

I love multiple combos of cases & straps I’ve got.
View attachment 880588
[automerge]1575399244[/automerge]
Just to add to this, I have cases for my phone too.

a case for each scenario you could say.

⌚ ?

I like that. What's the case if you don't mind me asking? (have my Series 3 with a scuff on the aluminum corner from buzzing from a timer while sitting on a counter-top over tile...have a Series 4 to unbox and want it to avoid such scuffs)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.