Our Cartoon President.... even worse than the real thing.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by BigHonkingDeal, Feb 11, 2018.

1. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Showtime's Our Cartoon President s*!!s the big one :) Tried to watch it but had to turn it off after a few minutes. I don't know who would find that funny.

2. Zenithal macrumors 604

I see Donald as a karaoke singer. Just about does it, but still fails a lot. Not to say I was a fan of the previous guy. Donald simply takes the cake at being useless. The Duncan Campbell of politics.

3. BigHonkingDeal thread starter macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

Well maybe not worse but it's embarrassing bad....

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

It's the most accurate cartoon I've ever seen.

5. A.Goldberg, Feb 12, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2018

A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I think dealing with the nonsense of the real President Trump is enough. I don’t think Trump supporters will appreciate mockery and Trump non-supporters or moderates really don’t want to relive the Trump reality in yet another dimension. Not surprisingly it’s ratings are pretty dismal.

While I am no defender of Trump’s stupid behavior, I must -again, a year+ later- say the Trump jokes are still entirely played out well beyond their expiration date. When the brunt and punchline of every joke, everywhere, is “Trump”, it stops being funny and is just predictable... and not usually even that clever since it’s often just reenacting something that actually happened. Trump impersonations are a dime a dozen and therefore usually not funny anymore.

And quite frankly, I think it’s really just disrespectful to dedicate a TV series to making fun of Trump and his administration, even if you don’t like them. Isn’t that the definition of bullying*? An SNL skit is one thing, an entire TV series is another. Trump is no saint when it comes to treating people with respect, but stooping to his level doesn’t make the you or the world a better place. I really find this quite a reprehensible idea and it will probably only feed Trump’s ego more, his justification for bashing the MSM, and the Trump-fanatics lunacy.

*There are about 4 different types of jokes you can make about a person. 3 of them are harmless and the subject can laugh with you and not be offended. The 4th is a joke made at the subjects expense, its mean spirited, and would be offensive to the subject. That’s mostly the humor you ever see related to Trump. And that in itself is tiring.

Or maybe I’m just a snob and have a more sophisticated sense of humor than the general public :p

6. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

People are fed up with being the better person. That's played out past it's expiration as well.

I do agree, it wasn't funny. But it was well done and interesting.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

That’s too bad. I’m sorry you have such a cynical outlook. Trump is a pretty deplorable character, but not someone who HAS to implode society and not someone who’s behavior can’t be overcome by most of society acting with dignity.

But if I’m not mistaken you were the one justifying violence against people with whom you disagree. My apologies if I have you confused.

8. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

It's not cynical, it's the new reality. History has proven, being cordial has little to no effect on many of the issues this country has been plagued with since the beginning.

Also, there's a limit of how cordial one can be, towards those that affect them and their family's livelihood.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

There is always a choice. One has to lead by example.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

The left being knobs is part of the problem and part of the reason people like Trump have done well.

The whole militant vegan thing isn’t a fantasy.

11. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

I wouldn't say part of the problem. It's more like part of the excuse. The right has disdain for the left, regardless of how the left reacts to the right. And also vice versa, but not nowhere as full throttle like the right.

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

That’s nonsense and you seem like an intelligent and educated enough person to know that.

Has history proven that being barbaric and using violence against your ideological foes is conducive to a more successful for society? Probably works great until you’re on the losing end. History also shows the minority or weaker group will basically always lose under a such a system. And the biggest problem is both sides then feel justified they are right whether they are or not. The Nazis felt pretty morally justified in their actions.

As society has become more civilized and diplomatic, has it improved or become worse?

Let’s say I’m pro choice- that I believe abortion laws limit the rights of women and fetus are not people. Let’s pretend for a second you’re an stereotypical evangelical Christian from the Bible Belt- prolife, believing abortion is literally murder. Does your violence and reproductive ideology justify the reason to shoot up an abortion clinic or attack me at protest or burn my house down?

We don’t live in a perfect country, but it’s something we are working towards and have been improving. Improvement isn’t always linear or exponential. It doesn’t always happen in the time we want it to. People are generally pretty set in their ways so it takes generations for some things to change. I’m not sure a country divided by violence offers a better alternative.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    And the right would probably say the same thing, just switch out the words. And there enlies the very problem- the entitlement and moral superiority each side possesses.

13. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

How did you go from disrespect and jokes(as mentioned topic in your initial quote) to violence?

14. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

The natural flow of the conversation. Look back to our exchanges if needed. It was along the lines of respecting others, which you don’t believe in, which is tied into violently attacking those you oppose.

15. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

Nope, the left is reactionary, even though they can go too far a lot of times. The right has been the initiator and the instigator.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

It’s a natural progression.

17. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

I disagree, I think both sides instigate each other... but I won’t beat you up over it.

(Sorry, I had to use that line. Speaking of the world needing some more witty humor than disparaging mockery)

18. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

So one side is supposed to be respectful when disrespect(of both words and actions) is constantly spewed at them, just to avoid possible violence? That's not reality.

19. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Both sides are equally reactionary. Time to come up with some policies to make an argument. Not-Trump is no more of a policy position than Never-Clinton.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 12, 2018 ---
    Precisely. Nailed it. Both sides would be better, of course, but you have to start somewhere. The alternative is 1861.

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

And who gets to pick which side shuts up? See where I'm going with this?

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

So I can constantly disrespect you verbally and legislatively, and you're just going to deal with it?

22. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Yup. Quiet assertion, not noisy aggression. Sooner or later it will rub off on your opponents.

23. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

Umm yes, exactly. That’s why we have this whole thing called a government. Short of self defense, as defined by our laws, then I see no reason. If you’d like to explain to me what specific reasons you feel justified to physically harm people or their property, maybe I could wrap my head around this. You don’t fight someone because they “disrespect” you- how old are we?

So terrorist attacks? Are those justified?