Our freedoms are fading VERY fast!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by halfprep455, Apr 7, 2007.

1. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

Reporters without boarders has placed the United States 53rd in regards to freedom of press. We are now behind Canada, UK, South Korea, Japan, Gernamy, and most other western nations! The state of Alabama is trying to ban all pro-gay literature from its state. We are touturing "suspected" terrorists and not giving them a trial. The ultra right is trying to pass more laws to regulate what they deem "obscene". Anyone who speaks out againt the government is "helping the terrorists"! Where did our freedoms go? We have pissed on our constitution.

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

remind me: is this the group staunchly defending the 3rd amendment?

3. elfin buddy macrumors 6502a

elfin buddy

I'd like to read more about the Reporters Without Borders ranking system...got a link?

4. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Yes, all of what you wrote is true. The enlightened know this. Those who do not care, still do not care. Look at the threads in this group (for lack of a better word). Loss of liberty is one of the many critical issues in jeopardy from too many years of conservative attack. It is frightening. We are in dire need of a youth-led renaissance. I have become convinced that youth must take the lead. I must also reluctantly admit, too many of my supportive friends are at an age where one cannot risk losing it all. It is the youth who ultimately bring about change. However, we older folk must be ready to bring our support when it happens.

5. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Ralph Nader did mention about the lack of democracy in today's nation. 100% agreed.

Sad state of affairs.

Back to your NSA-tapped TV show now...

6. bartelby macrumors Core

"No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law."

Erm, can you explain what this has to do with the OP.

7. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

Reporters without boarders would imply either this or that their ski trips are exclusively to mountains banning snowboards.

8. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

ooh, i hadn't considered the winter sports angle.

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

He spelled borders wrong. ;)

Don't worry, the backlash is coming, and already here actually. Look at the last election. That's what happens when you use things like fear to gain power. Eventually, people get sick of losing their rights just to be more afraid.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

I have no idea what this ranking means. There isn't a single thing that our press couldn't and probably already hasn't printed, true or not. Do you have to print whackier conpiracy theories that people actually buy hook, line and sinker to move up the list?

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Is there a separate ranking for how supine a country's press is in the face of a war-mongering government?

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think you should read a little more about how the list was generated. It's not as simple as what you can print. Also important are what happens to you if you do, and what obstacles are there to do so.

13. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Yeah, ours has been so supportive of the whole effort! </sarcasm>

14. halfprep455 thread starter macrumors regular

halfprep455

The US was ranked 53rd because f the Bush administrations policy of demanding that media sources reveal their sources for any story involving the government. We are also ranked 53rd b/c the US military is illegaly detaning journalists and reporters that they thought were "suspected terrorists". So much for freedom of press. I sure hope that a backlash comes against the Bush administration soon. We need to get our freeedoms back soon or else we may never have them again.

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

No need for the sarcasm. Barely a voice was raised until well afterwards.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Straight from the mouth of Rush Limbaugh. Wait- no "liberal media" comment yet? You're slipping! :rolleyes:

17. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Because Leaky Leahey and other members of Congress decided that leaking information meant to be kept in committee was ok as long as they called anonymously or had the press promise not to reveal their sources. The press is a willing accomplice to this when it serves their purposes.

Illegally detaining journalists my eye. Post of link where these innocent reporters were mistreated. Being "detained" until your story checks out is routine all over the Middle East. It's not "illegal".

18. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

It goes beyond liberal which is why I don't even use that term anymore. I prefer vapid myself just based on what the press even considers news much less how they report it.

19. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yes, that's very illegal. People should never be detained whatsoever unless you are interested in importing Stalin soon.

20. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Something tells me you don't have a future in the security or law enforcement industry any time soon. :rolleyes:

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

The more I hear you the less I believe you're a Libertarian. Is there a party for people who believe "as long as it doesn't affect me directly, I don't care" or "the ends justify the means"?

22. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

No, I believe in enforcing laws or changing them, not making up rights and laws willy nilly as I feel apply. The other poster immediately applying the "illegal" label to whatever detaining went on didn't state what legal authority was applied or supposed to be applied when and where this happened. Without an applicable law something by definition can't be illegal.

I've been "detained" dozens of times as I traveled to and from the Middle East and I never thought it was "illegal" nor did I have any problem with it once things were worked out. So, I have been affected directly by this, but it is the job of the military and the government to provide security and that requires procedures that may include detaining someone. I don't see how this violates my libertarian beliefs.

23. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Yeah, of course, it's not fun being detained, whipped, then returned back in a body bag :eek:

Honestly, if I were libertarian I would value my privacy. I kinda think that detention is going against that.

Unless it's like the last sentence of Orwell's 1984.