Our Greatest Threat...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Mar 12, 2012.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Foreign terrorists or domestic morons?

Link

And…

Take a look at comments on the US soldier who killed 16 in Afghanistan

http://littlegreenfootballs.com/art...ghan_Killings-_A_Dead_Muslim_Is_a_Good_Muslim

2. soco macrumors 68030

soco

As usual, I can't stand my own country. So ashamed. :(

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The funny thing is that those people who are commenting on the article are probably the same racists who call for literacy tests for voting.

4. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

Well, one could argue that our foreign policy is influenced by the domestic morons that are a major voting block in this country.

Part of the reason why there are foreign terrorists is due to our foreign policy.

Personally, I think religion is to blame for it all... but that's for another thread.

5. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

I don't doubt that the opposition to interracial marriage skews towards the older demographic. Sad to say I've got a few relatives like this. Even more who say something like, "I know I've got no business telling other people how to live, but it still bothers me." These are all people who are old enough to remember it being illegal, though. Take everybody over 40 out of the mix, and even in the South you're left with a group that not only scarcely thinks about interracial marriage at all, but displays a perhaps-unexpectedly tolerant attitude towards gay marriage. Gen X and younger just don't see why they should care about that.

Alabama has always been socially anywhere from 20 to 50 years behind the average for the country, depending on where in the state you end up, but progress does happen.

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm a firm believer that domestic morons are our biggest threat.

Dispelling ignorance is the greatest thing we could do for this country and the world.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I heap a big chunk on the right wing media -- radio, internet and TV -- for continually pushing screwy ideas. Though religion is certainly a big factor too.

I'm with ya on that.

8. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

Wow reading those comments, I thought I got transported to 4chans /b/ board :eek:

I really don't understand the mentality of people like those who truly believe Obama is a Muslim, or those who comment on FOX news. That kind of top tier stupidity is just disturbing.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

What is even more ironic is that their ancestors fled from Europe to escape persecution due to religious intolerance..

Now they are committing the same atrocity that their ancestors fled from. Irony at its best.

Anywho, I'm finding more and more shows that we used to watch as kids being so prophetic and rather relevant in their topic, while we watched it for the cool factor or because we liked the gimmick..

In this case, Part I and II of Transformers: The Return of Optimus Prime is really relevant today, given this issue and dealing with ignorance and intolerance. It's actually worth the watch.

BL.

10. fox10078 macrumors 6502

fox10078

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

They must be trolls. No one can be that stupid.

11. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

One can hope some of them are, but unfortunately I've met people like that...

12. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

We are doomed.

13. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Don't count on that, the major question is how much religion the persons gotten.

If you're between 18-25 in the South and you've gone to church your whole life you're probably against gay marriage, because "it goes against god".

14. vega07 macrumors 65816

I also wouldn't take these polls and generalize them to the rest of the state population. It's hard to believe that the entire state can be that ignorant and stupid.

And polls need to stop asking these questions. The fact that Muslim is an answer choice will further legitimize this falsehood in these people's minds. Just let this birther movement die already.

15. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

How do you poll likely republican voters? Did they show up to a local KKK meeting and take a poll?

I don't believe this poll is representative of the state. Even Alabama. Sounds like some funny polling practices to me. Not exactly a large sample size either. Lastly it seems strange they are focusing on primaries and asking questions about Obama.

16. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Not as much as you'd think. Within a negligible margin of error, everybody between 18 and 25 has gone to church his whole life in the South. I certainly had by that point in my life. Sure, in the past ten years "evangelicals" have sprung up and done their best to revitalize as much hate as they can, and some people have jumped on that, but you'd be surprised at how little a lot of people, even a lot of churchgoers, really care. It's just like any case of extremist versus moderate religion: the extremists scream their fool heads off, and the moderates stay quiet.

17. Fazzy macrumors 6502

Whilst the poll may not be representative of republican voters, I sure as hell hope the comments on that fox article aren't.
    I absolutely loath prejudices, but some times, don't you just wonder what the hell is wrong with people?

"More apologies from the apologist in chief? Why should we apologize for killing the enemy? The Liberals are tying are hands again, just like in Nam."

"Yes my condolences(coff coff gurgle muahahaha ! barf)"

18. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Thinking back I think you're right.

During high school I knew a lot of highly religious kids who were against gay marriage/gay rights. But for the most part they all changed their tune when they got to college (including many of the most fervent).

19. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Thank goodness we have places to send our children to be indoctrinated.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Some might think they simply matured and expanded their world-view.

Is that such a bad thing?

21. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Our greatest threat?

Clearly, it's the nutbag republican religious crazies who want nothing more than to turn this country in to a christian theocracy from the stone age.

These people are the real "terrorists".

22. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

nahhhhh, they just call them on the phone....much easier & quicker than tracking them down at KKK meetings :p

23. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Nope. It's true. People can be this stupid. Let me walk you through it...

It's important to keep in mind that Alabama and Mississippi are both in Appalachia. Appalachia has had problems with poverty for many decades, and poverty breeds ignorance.

There have been attempts to deal with the poverty/ignorance issue. John F. Kennedy, established the President's Appalachian Regional Commission in 1963. Soon afterwards, Lyndon B. Johnson declared a "War on Poverty".

The War on Poverty actually worked -- if you look this chart, by the early-70s the rate starts to level out.

But unfortunately, by the 70s, the country placed its concern about poverty on a back burner, and funding for programs ended up being cut or eliminated.

So... here we are today. The war against poverty wasn't won. And now the whole country must bear the burden of the ignorance that results from poverty.

And there's more bad news: It will continue to get worse (unless something is done about it).

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Old news. Less educated voters in the South vote for Obama.

EDIT: I meant to say, less educated voters in the South vote GOP.

EDIT: I meant to say, less educated voters in the South vote Obama.

EDIT: I meant to say less educated voters in the South vote GOP.

Sorry, remind me. Who do less educated voters in the South vote for?