Our iPhones can´t connect to Wifi at home

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by yoak, Sep 8, 2010.

1. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I have an AEBS that runs 2 network, one for our laptops (all Mac) and one for our iPhones.
    Recently (maybe after upgrading the FW) I can´t connect any iPhone 2G, 3G or 4 to our Wifi.
    They see the network (sometimes), but are asked for password. I get the message wrong password or unable to connect to network.
    The password is correct (they used to join automatically) so what is wrong?

2. Username02 macrumors regular

Did you try resetting the network settings on your iphones and trying again?

3. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

Yes, I´ve tried that. The weird thing is that I connect with no problem to the wifi at work (also an AEBS).
    I´ve been looking around the net and found a number of threads, but no final solution. Driving me insane

4. skorpien macrumors 68020

5. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

No, I tried to enable it and list my iPhones Wifi address with no luck, so I went back to not having it enabled.
    It all used to work perfectly, this is what is driving me insane.

Thanks for the replies though

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

The only other suggestion I have short of resetting your AEBS and starting from scratch is to make sure there is no interference from other wireless sources.

7. mangrove macrumors 6502

Did you recently move your wifi around in the house? How about your other macs do they all find and work on that wifi?

I once had a problem with a neighbors wifi adversely influencing mine, but that was years ago.

8. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

The other macs works fine on the wifi. My iPhone works on my office network (also aebs all macs)
    I tried to restore the aebs and set it up as new, while resetting the networks on my iPhone. Still no luck.

9. Username02 macrumors regular

Can you give a summary as to how the dedicated network for iphones is set up at your home?
    ie; what speed and encryption, etc?

10. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

I have a dual band, 2,4ghz n for the laptops and iPhone4, guest network on the g band. Both running WPA2 security.

I just went through the process of restoring my iPhone 4 as new as a last resort, thinking that must solve it at least.
    But, no luck.
    I really don´t know what else to do, from my countless hours on the net trying to solve it, I´m back to square one.
    Help would be apreciated

11. psxguru macrumors 6502a

So what radio mode are you actually using on the AEBS?

I use 802.11n only (5ghz) and 802.11b/g/n mode. (Hold down option while clicking radio mode to see more combinations)

Macs connect to the 5Ghz.
    iphone 4, ipod touch and PS3 connect to the 2.4Ghz band (ip4 uses 2.4Ghz n, the touch and ps3 use g)

I also use different SSIDs for the networks to make sure my Macbook stays on the 5Ghz channel.

12. lionsy macrumors 6502

13. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

I´ll try your setting now, what´s frustrating is that it used to work only a week ago

14. Vice92 macrumors regular

perhaps try downgrading the firmware on the router? It seems that after you updated all of these problems started to occur.

15. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

It started before I upgraded the router unfortunately

16. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

When I changed my settings from a/n and b/g/n to 5ghz n only and b/g/n, my iPhone don´t see any networks (the 5ghz I understand)
    EDIT: Then they appeared

17. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

How comforting;-)
    No luck?

I just tried to manually set my IP, subnet ,and DNS. That was the last thing I had left to try as far as I know

EDIT: That didn´t work

I see that the airport ID is different on my Airport Extreme, than on my iPhone. (I think wifi address is the same as airport ID) Could this be it?

I don´t know how to change that on either unit

18. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

I've been away a few days. Was hoping for some solution, but it seems there is no fix?

19. psxguru macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure why you can't connect but I presume you have tried the 'reset network settings' option or the 'forget network' option, before trying to join the network?

If all else fails try the 'reset all settings' and reboot your iphone to see if it makes a difference?

20. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

The weirdest thing happened. I was sitting outside in our garden, a good 50 meters from my Wifi and I tried to join just for fun. And it worked!!!
    Same for my wife´s 3G, although I had to go 20 meters closer to get on it.

Does this means I have interference in my house you think?

PS I walked into my house, and it kept logged on to the network

21. yoak thread starter macrumors 65816

yoak

Solved!!

I just want to conclude this thread. I finally figured it out. Too obvious of course.
    It started out not working usually between 8pm and 11pm (and this is the time I´m online normally)

Turns out this is the time the baby call is on as well!!
    Never thought of that as it´s my wife that puts him to bed (he´s 2 months old)

Then I found out she often forgets to turn it off, voila, and of course then our iPhones won´t connect.

22. skorpien macrumors 68020

Have you tried using a different channel for your AEBS? It might be possible to completely avoid the interference issue if you find a channel that your baby monitor doesn't interfere with.