Our super cool iPhone / iPad app for anyone who wants to be able to draw!

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by VTPete, May 5, 2011.

1. VTPete macrumors member

Hi all,

Forgive my cross posting this to the iPad section of the forum, but the iPad2 version of my app is pretty cool.

I've got this cool app called Camera Lucida. It's a digital version of a optical device that's been around for hundreds of years that allows people to draw whatever they see in front of them. My newest version, "Version 4" is a universal app that supports the iPad2's camera. Most people think that rear facing camera isn't good for much, but I love the way the app looks and runs on the iPad. The extra large screen makes using this software great.

URL="http://itunes.apple.com/app/camera-lucida/id362499096?mt=8"

What it does is to use your iPhone or iPad's camera to superimpose a photo of your choice with your drawing surface.

It's not a program that has you draw on the screen; you actually draw on paper with your favorite medium while looking at your iPad's screen.

In the past year I've added a lot of great functionality that allows you to do things like posterize the image and draw a certain shade of grey. It's really quite cool; seriously!

If you're into drawing or painting; or have ever wanted to be an artist, you'll be amazed at what you can create by using this app to help out. I've got a really dull (and far too long) video on YouTube that demos the app as it was two versions ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzb7aCCdum4

And I also love working with my user base to add new functionality; if you've ever wanted to be a beta tester or just involved in an iOS development project, just ping me!

2. VTPete thread starter macrumors member

3. VTPete thread starter macrumors member

You CAN draw portraits! Really, there's an app for that!

Well, Apple was kind enough to approve the new version of Camera Lucida; version 5.0. I rewrote all of the camera interface code to make use of the AVFoundation framework's goodness. So, now it supports all kinds of things like digital zooming, panning, etc.

If you haven't tried it, give it a look (link below). And, as always, if you have a photo you'd like me to draw, send it my way and I'll post the results.

-Pete

4. eecook macrumors newbie

how do I get my drawing to be bigger?

I love the Camera Lucida app for iPad and have just upgraded to the latest version. But I was wondering if there was a way to make my drawing bigger than the image on the iPad screen. If I enlarge the original photo so that I can only see parts of it at once, I kind of lose my place and the continuity of the drawing. Any suggestions?

5. VTPete thread starter macrumors member

I use an Apple TV (with Airplay) to make my TV my screen. Then, your iPad can be as far away from your image as you like. Try it!
    -Pete