Out of curiosity, where are the non specific bully tv spots

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by h00ligan, Jun 11, 2011.

1. h00ligan macrumors 68030

Bullying is a big problem, for many more genres than just gay kids. Fat kids, spotty kids, smart and stupid kids.

I wonder what the number is for percentage of underage suicide for those who aren't gay, and why this one subset attained so much attention.

I agree bullying should be brought to light, but I have to wonder how many millions of non gay kids who are ridiculed daily and contemplating suicide feel even less connected.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

OMG. You're right. The gay rights movement is actually killing other kids! :eek:

How could we not see that? :eek:

We've been so selfish. [sob]

So blind! :( :( :(

3. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

I agree. According to another poster in a different thread if you're a majority you have no right to feel persecuted or in any way offended. Such feelings are strictly off-limits to you.

Thus, in America, if you're a White, Christian, heterosexual then you have to bear whatever the world throws at you.

This is patently absurd of course. If people such as gays really wanted equality then they would treat the grievances of everyone, such as non-gay kids who are bullied, equally.

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Of course, another interpretation is that if you'll stick up for the rights of gays, you are by extension sticking up for the rights of everybody.

And if you're trying to raise awareness of the dangers of bullying gays, that other forms of bullying are likewise being implied.

But I know ... that's just crazy-talk. :rolleyes:

5. 184550 Guest

Nice to see mcrain is still around after all. :rolleyes:

And when I see an advert for McDonalds, it's really an advert for fast food in general?!

Who'd of thunk it?

6. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Yeah, that sounds logical to me. The Alice in Wonderland kind of logic.

7. citizenzen, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I think a better example would be a public service announcement against rape.

If the woman in the announcement is white, I think it's safe to assume that it's wrong to rape black women, Hispanic women, and Asian women.

An intelligent person could even understand that sexualized violence extends beyond gender and shouldn't be perpetrated against any human being.

But, of course, you'd have to be Einstein-like intelligent to make that kind of inconceivable leap of logic. :rolleyes:

Edit: Note how they use the phrases "all kids" and "everyone"?

8. 184550 Guest

This is a logical fallacy.

I'd agree, if the PSA was about rape. But it's not. It's about bullying. The causes and motivation for rape are much more similar than the causes and motivation for bullying. The motivations to rape someone to do not vary from fat women to skinny women, to black women, to asian women, to white women. (Yes, I'd be glad to acknowledge that in extreme cases this might come in to play if the perpetrator prefers a certain body type, skin color, etc...)

If someone bullies me for needing glasses then I'm not going to be personally offended/ affected when they bully someone else for being gay. Would I still step up and defend that person? Yes. But am I going to be personally affected and hurt? No, I'm not gay therefore what that person is saying doesn't affect me.

I didn't make this clear, but I disagree with the OP. I do think that LGBT bullying is a bigger, more pressing issue given the events that have occurred over the past couple months. However, I think that it's wrong to assume and imply that an ad against LGBT bullying should be assumed to carry over to all types of bullying. As your video indicates, some of the ads do speak out against bullying of all people. However some do not and thus it is wrong to assume/ imply/ state that they do. For instance, it's impossible to assume that this 'It Gets Better' ad is an against all bullying. The OP specifically mentions the attention that LGBT bullying receives.

Do you feel better now?

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

mcrain's an okay guy, but that thread surprised me. Must be Don't-Act-Like-Yourself Week at MacRumors. Speaking of which...

h00ligan's question may have not have been phrased to your tastes, citizenzen, but I just wish you'd posted the video in the first place, instead of flying off the handle.

Hell, I got bullied mercilessly for being the smallest, thinnest boy in the class. I never saw any anti-bullying video when I grew up, but I think a general-purpose anti-bullying PSA might've done something to lift my spirits.

Anyway, to answer h00ligan: why does gay bullying get so much attention? Because gay rights is a big political topic in general, and because there have been a number of stories about gay bullying in the news lately, and there's an obvious need.

Why not other kinds as well? Probably because the media's got the attention span of a gnat, and because gay bullying is a "newer" phenomenon -- at least to them. I hate to say it, but when they find some even newer hobbyhorse to ride, I wouldn't be surprised if they lose interest in gay bullying.

10. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I would, for Gay people will not let it. They can't afford to.

11. 184550 Guest

PRSI won't lose it. Not with Lee around. :p

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It's that pesky "arrow of time" thing.

I found the video after "flying off the handle".

Sorry I can't reverse time for you. :rolleyes:

And what you call "flying off the handle" I call satire.

I know that sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference. :cool:

13. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Says who? I've asked this before and never got an answer (another thread, another poster). Who says if you are White, Christian...etc you can't have feelings of persecution or be offended? Just because someone else is saying they feel bad because of their problems doesn't mean they could care less about yours?

Actually the motivations for rape do vary from attacker to attacker.
    But even if, I don't think all analogies work well. The "an ad for mcdonalds is an ad for all fast food" is proof of that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motivation_for_rape

Anyway, the real answer for why is there a bunch of recent anti-bullying against gays ads is simple. A gay guy grew up and, sick of hearing about bullying agains gays and probably being bullied once or twice in his life time, started the campaign. Plain and simple. If some white guy thinks that white straight jews like himself are being bullied too much and wants to help those who went through the same crap he did, he can start his own campaign. OY VEY! DOES IT GET BETTER!!!

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I'll leave it to others to decide whether that was satire.

I'm not looking to pick a fight here; I like the great bulk of what you post. I just wonder why h00ligan's post upset you enough to prompt such a sarcastic first response.

15. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

That wasn't satire. It's called reductio ad ridiculum and it's one of the fastest ways to cease to be taken seriously.

I appreciate the link. I have no issue with the gay community standing up for children that fit into the community, I just home non members are also paying attention to what their kids are doing.

Again I'd like to see the statistics on say, teen suicide. I doubt it would balance out to be worse for gay kids.

That said I think it's great that the gay community are doing something about a big issue. I just wish others would.

16. ender land macrumors 6502a

But if every PSA announcement about rape contains a white woman, the connection to minorities is eroded until the point it no longer exists. Perhaps one or two or five or ten could still be "against rape" but if the overwhelming majority of those PSA's only show a white woman it would be rather hard to generalize it to all women.

Of course, you'd have to be Einstein-like intelligent to make that kind of logical conclusion :rolleyes:

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Cool.

Show that every PSA only features white women or only talks about gay kids and I'll call you Einstein.

I took two minutes and found one that didn't.

So there goes that theory.

18. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

If you feel the need for them make an effort, take a stand, support an anti-bullying program.

This whole "but what about $group" mentality is silly, taking a stand against gay bullying does not send out a message that bullying anyone for any other reason is ok. Homophobia is often so ubiquitous in schools it's just all too easy to feel like no one will ever accept you for who you are, that there's no point in living.

It's something I remember clearly thinking, it's something I'm sure a whole load of other gays, lesbians, transgendered people remember thinking, that's why *we* feel it's so important to send this message so loudly and clearly to the next generation.

I'd wholeheartedly support a general anti-bullying message, but not at the cost of directly telling LGBT youth that it does get better. It's important.

19. citizenzen macrumors 65816

That sir, is often the very core of satire.

20. ender land macrumors 6502a

Oh please.

First of all, my entire post was theoretical and somewhat rhetorical, using "if."

Second, this thread is about bullying - not rape.

Let me connect the dots for you. If (this is something which indicates it might not be true now, or ever, but "if"- requiring use of your imagination) public service announcements about rape were presented in that way, it'd be mighty hard to see a blanket generalization against rape if you were a minority woman in particular.

Now, the topic of this thread is bullying against those who are not gay. Imagine if (again, if!) the majority of anti-bullying things are specific to GLBT people and their needs. It would be mighty difficult to see that as a blanket generalization against bullying overall if you were being bullied for non-GLBT reasons.

21. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Insincere apology? Check.

Needless condescension? Check.

Misplaced sarcasm? Check.

"I'm cool" emoticon? Check.

"You're such an idiot I'm rolling my eyes at you" emoticon? Check.

I disagree with someone's earlier comparison to mcrain. Only citizenzen call deliver these kinds of stats in a single post.

22. 184550 Guest

I see you left out that part of my post that acknowledged that. :rolleyes:

Do I really need to find the obligatory facepalm jpeg?

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

And yet NathanMuir tried to use the analogy of fast food!

At least I kept my analogy within the realm of physical human violence.

perhaps you should have a word with him.

Thank you!

24. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I don't see which part you acknowledged....

25. h00ligan thread starter macrumors 68030

perhaps, however it remains pointless in a conversation where one wishes to participate constructively