Out of interest, how many members have *wiped* OS X and installed GNU/Linux instead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Hi all. I just wanted to know, out of curiosity (no, this is *NOT* a flame magnet please) how many of you good people have an Intel Mac, but have completely wiped out OS X & installed a GNU/Linux distro instead?.

The reason I ask this, is because this is exactly what I have done - I own a 2009 Mac mini, but I decided I would wipe off OS X & try the machine running *completely* on Ubuntu 9.10 for one month, and if I could manage it without all my "iApps", possibly some time longer.

Any interesting stories?.

Thanks.

podiki

macrumors regular
Sep 8, 2008
Lagovouni
There's hardly any point to buy Apple hardware if you don't run OS/X. You can get faster hardware for less if you want to run Linux. Although the cheaper mac mini's are not such a bad deal, I guess.

OS/X is the only reason I bought my Mac Pro.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
There's hardly any point to buy Apple hardware if you don't run OS/X. You can get faster hardware for less if you want to run Linux.

Well I didn't buy it in order to run GNU/Linux, I simply wanted to see how the Ubuntu team have progressed... and it is running VERY nicely indeed. I am considering selling the Mac mini, and building a better spec PC in order to run Ubuntu. This will also mean that I can *finally* put the 1Tb WD hdd that is inside a caddy, dangling off a USB cable, *inside* the PC, for faster access - I cannot wait!.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
London
I bought my very first Mac (a clamshell iBook) to run Linux on as it was the cheapest laptop I could find with a DVD drive. Before I received the laptop the OSX public beta was released. So I installed that instead and I've never looked back...

HyperX13

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2009
Whenever I try the Ubuntu, I do not last more than 1 week. Installing new apps (without using their software manager) is impossible. Even google earth meant some command line code and then eventually it just broke. Also apps break with each update. When I went to 9.10, most of my apps that were installed manually stopped working.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
There's hardly any point to buy Apple hardware if you don't run OS/X. You can get faster hardware for less if you want to run Linux. Although the cheaper mac mini's are not such a bad deal, I guess.

Agreed, I bought my macs for OSX.

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Whenever I try the Ubuntu, I do not last more than 1 week. Installing new apps (without using their software manager) is impossible. Even google earth meant some command line code and then eventually it just broke. Also apps break with each update. When I went to 9.10, most of my apps that were installed manually stopped working.
This has been my experience with it...I can't stand using it. Windows is more comfortable for casual use than Linux. OSX is the only reason I own a Mac. I understand the benefits Linux has for many and I know they think people who don't want to hassle with command lines etc are stupid and lazy...but so be it. I don't see the need.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I disagree with some of your comments - Windows is only comfortable because it is what people are used to, but GNU/Linux is *far* superior in every single way, except for mass adoption.

I think you will find that in the near future, free software will make headway, and gradually push proprietary OS' out, as people begin to value their freedom once again. If you don't *know* about your freedoms, then you cannot learn how to protect them from being taken away from you, which is essentially what non-free software does to people - you are locked in, and if you *really* don't care about that, then something is worryingly wrong.

I love Macs and I *love* the whole Mac experience - I am by NO means implying that Apple are "evil" - I wouldn't take my views to such dramatic extremes without hard proof, but paying hand over fist for software that you will maybe used 2-3 times, is just ridiculous.

Humanity *NEEDS* to start sharing more, and giving back for the greater good. You may disagree or agree - that is your own choice, but that is where the moral fabric has disintegrated; pumping money all in one direction, to big corporations who *really* don't care about you.

I value my freedom and the ability to copy and share, way more than I value a Mac, or *any* computer or object, whatsoever, and so should you, before things get so bad that it will be a nightmare to backtrack.

:)

harperjones99

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
I disagree with some of your comments - Windows is only comfortable because it is what people are used to, but GNU/Linux is *far* superior in every single way, except for mass adoption.
It was more comfortable for me than and linux distro because for example when I wanted to connect to the internet it was simple. Every linux distro I tried had issues even the supposed "dumbed down" ones...requiring some thing to be added/changed or whatever.

I am also someone however that never had virus issues on Windows and didn't find it that bad...I just wanted to try OSX and I do like it better. OSX makes installing things and getting things done ridiculously simple. I have never heard of someone try and give up OSX because it was too bothering and not intuitive...but I hear people say that about the various linux distros daily.

I don't disagree with you about sharing but the reason OSX and Windows are used more widely is because they generally work and don't require anything more than clicking the buttons to get something done.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I try a Linux distro every few years to see where they're up to but I always end up clearing them off after a week or so.

Except its really not. Windows and OSX are much easier to use.
What do you mean by freedom? It's an OS. It's indifferent. I can copy files (right click), I can share files (email, copy to removable drive, FTP). I also don't have to jump through hoops to get basic things working.
Couldn't live without both OSX and Windows. I need OSX for the pro apps and some iLife ones. I need Windows for DirectX and a (windows only) app for work. Whereas I could live happily without Linux.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I'm mostly on fedora. While I will not wipe osx off my drive, fedora has become my main OS of choice.

If I could get OSX running decently under vmware, then that might be a different story, but until then, I'll boot osx so I can run lightroom.

Humanity *NEEDS* to start sharing more, and giving back for the greater good. You may disagree or agree - that is your own choice, but that is where the moral fabric has disintegrated; pumping money all in one direction, to big corporations who *really* don't care about you.

What the heck is this? We're talking about running an operating system. I find Linux to be more efficient with resources and I prefer how it does things over windows and osx. I'm not using linux for the greater good of humanity, but rather to get my work done.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
*sigh* this is evidence in itself, that people just don't have a clue about what *real* freedom is. Have we lost our way SO much, that real freedom is a foreign concept?.

http://fsf.org

Now you can find out about freedom, and sharing for the greater good, if you chose to do so. :)

I try a Linux distro every few years to see where they're up to but I always end up clearing them off after a week or so.

What do you mean by freedom? It's an OS. It's indifferent. I can copy files (right click), I can share files (email, copy to removable drive, FTP). I also don't have to jump through hoops to get basic things working.
Couldn't live without both OSX and Windows. I need OSX for the pro apps and some iLife ones. I need Windows for DirectX and a (windows only) app for work. Whereas I could live happily without Linux.
I would digress, but I refuse to allow my posts to make this thread spiral downward into a childish flame war. All *nix based OS'es are exponentially superior to anything that Microsoft could ever dream of creating, but you are entitled to your opinion... but I don't see how you can back that up; oh well.

PS: When (not if) Windows gets panned, eventually, *nix based OS'es are where things are heading - if you doubt that, then you must be kidding yourself, and I can tell you as a Mac user myself, unless Apple bring some form of "budget" Mac out for mass adoption, it is highly unlikely that the general public are going to punting for Macs, if all they need is a cheap tool to surf and email with. *nix/GNU/Linux is definitely the way forward - a blind man could see that.

dmmcintyre3

macrumors 68020
Mar 4, 2007
I have, I had OpenSUSE running on my iBook for a while. Only OS on the hard drive. Ran it on there all the way from slightly after the battery connector was failing to almost till the logic board died. (aprox. 3 months) But I used my PB mainly

Now when I had a PC as my only computer it was my only os on there.

That link was so useful:

Attachments

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
www.fsf.org said:
To use free software is to make a political and ethical choice asserting the right to learn, and share what we learn with others. Free software has become the foundation of a learning society where we share our knowledge in a way that others can build upon and enjoy.
Yep, can't learn or share what we learn while we are using evil MS Office.

www.fsf.org said:
Currently, many people use proprietary software that denies users these freedoms and benefits. If we make a copy and give it to a friend, if we try to figure out how the program works, if we put a copy on more than one of our own computers in our own home, we could be caught and fined or put in jail. That’s what’s in the fine print of the license agreement you accept when using proprietary software.
How horrible that the companies that create these products should be compensated for their efforts.

Sorry, but that website is a huge pile of crap.

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008

Yep, can't learn or share what we learn while we are using evil MS Office.

How horrible that the companies that create these products should be compensated for their efforts.

Sorry, but that website is a huge pile of crap.
Distillation of an opinion down to:
"Sorry, but that website is a huge pile of crap." just shows you are ignorant, nothing more. I really cannot see how you can justify that rather rubbish comment, and it kinda demonstrates that you don't *understand* the ethics, freedoms and philosophy of the GPL & GNU software. Hopefully one day maybe you will, but in the meantime it is just a difference of opinion, hey.

Do you not realise how free software makes money?. I suggest watching Richard Stallman giving one of his amazing, legendary lectures; Google video is *full* of them. :D

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
I guess my ignorant self will just leave it at that as well. You aren't worth arguing with.
Well there is a difference there - you obviously see this as an argument, which is a bit worrying really, as it isn't one, at all.

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
but GNU/Linux is *far* superior in every single way, except for mass adoption.

If you don't *know* about your freedoms, then you cannot learn how to protect them from being taken away from you, which is essentially what non-free software does to people - you are locked in, and if you *really* don't care about that, then something is worryingly wrong.

Humanity *NEEDS* to start sharing more, and giving back for the greater good.

I value my freedom and the ability to copy and share, way more than I value a Mac, or *any* computer or object, whatsoever, and so should you, before things get so bad that it will be a nightmare to backtrack.

*sigh* this is evidence in itself, that people just don't have a clue about what *real* freedom is. Have we lost our way SO much, that real freedom is a foreign concept?.

http://fsf.org

Now you can find out about freedom, and sharing for the greater good, if you chose to do so. :)

PS: When (not if) Windows gets panned, eventually, *nix based OS'es are where things are heading - if you doubt that, then you must be kidding yourself, and I can tell you as a Mac user myself, unless Apple bring some form of "budget" Mac out for mass adoption, it is highly unlikely that the general public are going to punting for Macs, if all they need is a cheap tool to surf and email with. *nix/GNU/Linux is definitely the way forward - a blind man could see that.
and it kinda demonstrates that you don't *understand* the ethics, freedoms and philosophy of the GPL & GNU software. Hopefully one day maybe you will, but in the meantime it is just a difference of opinion, hey.
Well there is a difference there - you obviously see this as an argument, which is a bit worrying really, as it isn't one, at all.
Now why would I see it as an argument when you have just sanctimonously come in and declared that linux is far superior to anything else, we don't understand our freedom, linux is the way of the future, etc.

Since you said it, I guess that we should just accept it as the gospel truth.:rolleyes:

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah

What he said. You buy it for the hardware and the software. In addition last night I installed Windows 7 64 bit on my macbook... ran like a dream, snappy, IE64 was fast, and I ended up deleting the partition. I have a 360 to game with and thats the only reason I'd keep it.. but OSX just rocks man.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Now why would I see it as an argument when you have just sanctimonously come in and declared that linux is far superior to anything else, we don't understand our freedom, linux is the way of the future, etc.

Since you said it, I guess that we should just accept it as the gospel truth.:rolleyes:
That's because we're mere humans who have been corrupted by capitalism and the evil microsoft. If we need to attain the next level of consciousness we need to embrace Linux as the way to our salvation and humanities only chance of survival :D

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
That's because we're mere humans who have been corrupted by capitalism and the evil microsoft. If we need to attain the next level of consciousness we need to embrace Linux as the way to our salvation and humanities only chance of survival :D
Ah, now I understand. I have seen the light, and will immediately wipe OS X from my macs and install linux.;)

glossywhite

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 28, 2008
Please note - I am simply expressing my *personal* opinions, and I don't expect anyone to agree, nor do I disrespect anyone for their views - this is my free speech, but in the same respect you are free to express it back to me, as long as you don't perceive my passion for what I believe, as arrogance and pig-headedness, because I am not here to do that :D.

Bottom line, however, is that free software is free, and yet Apple/Microsoft source code is not yours to view & modify/improve. Smugness & sarcasm aside, you'd be left high and dry if your software vendor went bankrupt - then what would you do, for your next version of Photoshop/OS X etc?. I am just saying that it bears thinking about... unless using closed-source, means you must be closed-minded, in which case I'll let you off, because any further discussion at that point in time would be futile. Wouldn't you like to have the peace of mind of knowing that the next version of X or Y software would be released, because of the fact that coders were growing the older version source code into something better?.

If the myth that the corporations who sell you your software are doing it in YOUR best interests, is to be perpetuated, then I'd like someone to show me HOW this is so.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Please note - I am simply expressing my *personal* opinions, and I don't expect anyone to agree, nor do I disrespect anyone for their views - this is my free speech, but in the same respect you are free to express it back to me, as long as you don't perceive my passion for what I believe, as arrogance and pig-headedness, because I am not here to do that :D.

Bottom line, however, is that free software is free, and yet Apple/Microsoft source code is not yours to view & modify/improve. Smugness & sarcasm aside, you'd be left high and dry if your software vendor went bankrupt - then what would you do, for your next version of Photoshop/OS X etc?. I am just saying that it bears thinking about... unless using closed-source, means you must be closed-minded, in which case I'll let you off, because any further discussion at that point in time would be futile. Wouldn't you like to have the peace of mind of knowing that the next version of X or Y software would be released, because of the fact that coders were growing the older version source code into something better?.

If the myth that the corporations who sell you your software are doing it in YOUR best interests, is to be perpetuated, then I'd like someone to show me HOW this is so.
hrmm if that happened I would reinstall a Windows partition.
Until then no viruses for me! : )

ucfgrad93

macrumors P6
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Bottom line, however, is that free software is free, and yet Apple/Microsoft source code is not yours to view & modify/improve.
Why should it be? They put the time and resources into the program. They should be allowed to control the products of their work.

glossywhite said:
Smugness & sarcasm aside, you'd be left high and dry if your software vendor went bankrupt - then what would you do, for your next version of Photoshop/OS X etc?.
I would find another product to suit my needs. But that is just me. I don't update my software at every new revision. I sometimes skip a few years before I update.

glossywhite said:
Corporations sell me software in order to make money, nothing more.

nick1516

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2008
I bought my mac to try OS X and attempt to develop for the iphone. I haven't had an attempt to try developing yet, but unless I get really into it I'm going to buy a windows 7 laptop with a lot more power for the same price when I go to college.

Status
Not open for further replies.