Out of laptop bag and MBP is HOT HOT HOT!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gkp, May 28, 2009.

1. gkp macrumors member

I have a Macbook Pro Unibody and for the 3rd time, I have taken my laptop out of my bag and it is HOT as blazes! I eject all discs/hard drives and unplug all cords and close the lid properly ( I do it everyday when leaving work) well, today again it is super hot and even heats up the inside of my laptop bag! There are no programs running, but it will not wake up from sleep either. I have to force shut it down.

15" 2.53gHz Unibody running 10.5.7

any ideas what could cause this?

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Sounds like it never went to sleep in the bag or it woke itself up.

3. wesrk macrumors 6502a

fans running at full speed?
    Did you remove everything before putting it to sleep? Sometimes removing a usb device after the lid is closed makes the computer wake up. I don't know if removing the mag safe does the same, but someone here will know for sure.

4. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I did this to my MacBook about a year ago. Cooked the logic board to a crisp. Make sure the sleep light is pulsing before you put it in a case. Also make sure that Bluetooth devices can't wake it up.

^
    Removing a USB cable usually wakes it up, but removing the MagSafe has no effect.

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

yes but after removing a usb device if the lid is still closed the machine goes right back to sleep.

6. gkp thread starter macrumors member

I did not remove any USB devices

I removed (via Command E) the external hard drive, unplugged the speakers, and the mag safe power. Then closed the lid.
    that is why I think this is soooo strange! This is only the 3rd time it has happened after having my MBP for a few months, but yeah! can you imagine if I fried it? geez..would it be covered by warranty? this is just strange.
    Please keep the comments coming and especially any others that have experienced this.
    I will for sure try to make sure that all of those tips are followed before packing in my bag.
    Thanks everyone.

7. brian2220 macrumors member

brian2220

i had the same problem
    the cause was i stuck a usb and its was to powerful and fried the usb and the logic board :mad:

8. splashnader macrumors 6502a

splashnader

Why not just shut it off

Instead of putting it into sleep mode when you are going to carry it around all day, just shut it down. Then there is no risk of the computer failing to sleep or waking from sleep when you don't know about it. Just seems like the easiest solution to me.

9. gkp thread starter macrumors member

Shut Down VS. Sleep

That is a very good suggestion. I guess the whole "Sleep" thing..shutting the lid is such a common thing that I never really think about taking the time to "push the button" to shut down. :)
    Good suggestion however I would like to get to the bottom of what is the culprit of this.
    I will do that in the future though.
    Thanks.

10. killianb macrumors regular

killianb

I can't remember the last time I shut down my UMB. I always just close the lid when I'm finished, often before I unplug any peripherals or the MagSafe. I'm yet to have any problems, however it does sound like a bit of a gamble now. Maybe I should be more careful when my UMBP arrives?

It just sounds like it's not going to sleep properly somehow or, like another poster said, somehow waking itself up in the bag. If it's not too much trouble, it does sound like the best option is to fully shutdown.

Just out of curiosity -- have you ever tried pressing the power button and putting it to sleep that way, rather than just closing the lid? Maybe that will make a difference in some way?

11. colmaclean macrumors 68000

colmaclean

If your open apps are important and you don't want to shut down - use this widget...

http://deepsleep.free.fr/

It "hibernates" your session. This means your Mac is shut down, but will load up the pre-hibernated state when you boot.

Another advantage is it saves battery juice as standby leaks a lot!

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I never put my MBP to sleep and then put in a laptop bag. I had the older core 2duo MBP were the latch never fully worked and one time it woke up on me while in the bag. My results weren't as horrific and catastrophic as the other poster but it taught me never to do that.

Besides, I read somewhere that the heads are not fully parked on the HD (or something like that) when the computer is in sleep mode and so you have an increased risk of damaging the HD - not sure of that's true but that just furthers my reasoning to avoid sleep mode and laptop bags.

13. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

I don't either, i have seen to many machines damaged due to heat problems because of this.

14. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

One thing I do as a matter of course is to make sure that the Mac enters sleep mode. i.e. waiting to put it in a bag after I've closed the lid until the LED starts pulsing.

Bluetooth peripherals can also be troublesome.

15. CTechKid macrumors regular

Once everything is unplugged, why not go into the apple menu and hit sleep? Once the screen is off you're good to go.

16. gkp thread starter macrumors member

Very helpful - Thank you! Shut Down Rules!

Thanks everyone! You know, I DO have my bluetooth turned on for my mouse, that could be the culprit. hmmmm....
    I am NOT just closing the lid and putting in my bag anymore. I will try that app that was suggested. Usually, the laptop is only in my bad for a few hours, transporting from work, errands then home. I don't leave it in all day.
    Anyways, thank you again

17. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Its probably the bluetooth mouse waking it up after connection is lost or the mouse is bumped. This has never happened to me (because I think about these things before packing up), but it has happened to some people. Slow down a bit and ensure everything is done properly.

18. bcaslis macrumors 68020

In the keyboards system preferences under bluetooth make sure you don't have "allow bluetooth devices to wake from sleep" checked. This can cause a click of the bluetooth mouse to wake the MBP when sleeping in the bag.

19. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

I always shut my laptop down when it goes into my laptop bag. I would rather lose the extra 60 seconds at startup time than fry my laptop.

20. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I had this problem with my MBP. It would be very hot after pulling it out of the laptop bag with the battery nearly depleted. I was very careful not to unplug any USB devices and I know the lid never came open.

It DID fry my logic board but the repair was covered by Apple. I'm out of Applecare now and I just shut it down when I transport it. I always thought it was a design flaw since I have a first generation MBP. It's interesting that the newer models have the same problem.

21. 3rdLittlePiggie macrumors member

3rdLittlePiggie

Seems like there should be an option for Bluetooth or Sleep Mode that says no not wake for bluetooth...at least maybe we should ask for it from Apple!

22. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Read my post above. There is already an option for this. Just most people don't know it's there and don't look for it.

23. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had it happen with the Bluetooth off and the option to have Bluetooth devices wake the machine off as well.

A little redundant, I know.

24. jqc macrumors regular

also remember that your laptop is hot, and if you put it in a case like neoprene it doesnt let the residual heat escape. That happened once to my MBP, now i always make sure i dont close the zippers all the way until the machine has cooled down and its been fine.

25. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

This isn't really a problem.

Just because it's still hot doesn't mean it'll get hotter if it's in a heat-insulating case - as long as it stays off of course ;)