Out of space, disk utility shows on main HD 10MB and group of volumens 56GB

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by qrart, Mar 18, 2015.

1. qrart macrumors newbie

Hello,
    Can somebody give me a tip what to do? I'm running out of space and having problem specially because I'm on my trip now.

Shortly:
    Main drive showing that I have left 56GB
    Group of volumens shows that I have 10MB free space.

I was looking around but not solution..

Zrzut ekranu 2015-03-18 o 20.39.08.jpg

Thanks in advance for your help
    Daniel

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Have you tried doing a time machine backup? Time Machine (if on) will do local backups (taking up main disk space) until you re-attach the Time Machine hard drive...

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're wondering what "Other" category in the storage tab is about, this may help explain: For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply: Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question: Freeing up drive space in Mac OS X

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Don't be concerned about that first screenshot. Yosemite converts the drive to a core storage volume that fills the entire disk and that is what you are seeing by selecting the top Macintosh HD entry in Disk Utility.

The second Macintosh HD entry is the logical core storage volume and accurately shows how much disk space is being used. Looks like you are using about half the 120GB drive. Does that sound incorrect?

If you have Time Machine turned on, some space may be used by Time Machine's local snapshots and that is normal.

5. qrart thread starter macrumors newbie

I was checking by few software and shows me that I have free 56GB and is no time machine either

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Is there some reason you think you should have more than 56GB available? Does that sound about right for the apps and data you have installed?

7. qrart, Mar 18, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

qrart thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I had problems and for example MS Excell didn't want save file saying that no disk space, browser was going crazy etc... Internet cutted... Deleted my passwords etc...

I have deleted Mac keeper somehow installed in my comp, maybe this was the problem?

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

MacKeeper certainly creates problems for many who install it. Make sure you have completely removed it. The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, that could be. MacKeeper can cause problems. Now that you have deleted MacKeeper, has the problem gone away?