Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone4champ

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
Just wondering if anyone knows how much it may cost to have a iPhone 3G display replaced. I want to get it fixed and give it to my son.
Thanks

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I've seen cellphone repair shops charge up to $89 to replace the screen. Apple might still offer to replace your 3GS with a refurbished unit.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Apple usually charges $149 for replacing any prior-to-4S phone that is broken for ANY reason with a refurbished phone and will do it right at the store if they have it in stock (they usually do), but you have to give them your old phone (which they usually refurbish and use for someone else's replacement). A screen replacement from another source is usually $70 - $90 and you have to wait.

Last edited:

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apple usually charges $149 for replacing any prior-to-4S phone that is broken for ANY reason with a refurbished phone and will do it right at the store if they have it in stock (they usually do). A screen replacement from another source is usually $70 - $90 and you have to wait.

This also depends on if you tampered with anything inside the phone. If you are in or out of warranty and have messed with anything in the inside a lot of times they will not help you. You will not be offered the out of warranty repairs and would have to buy a new phone or go elsewhere. I know this b.c I have bought a phone on craiglist before where the person tampered with the back panel....I was prepared to pay apple $200 for a new phone (out of warranty cost) and b.c it was "tampered" with they said sorry.

Tones2

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
This also depends on if you tampered with anything inside the phone. If you are in or out of warranty and have messed with anything in the inside a lot of times they will not help you. You will not be offered the out of warranty repairs and would have to buy a new phone or go elsewhere. I know this b.c I have bought a phone on craiglist before where the person tampered with the back panel....I was prepared to pay apple $200 for a new phone (out of warranty cost) and b.c it was "tampered" with they said sorry.

True. I'm assuming he did not tamper with it. :)

$149 is a good deal since on ebay the 3G is still selling for over $200. However, if he is signing a new contract for his son, it's probably better to get a FREE 3GS than to get a refurbished 3G for $149.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
True. I'm assuming he did not tamper with it. :)

$149 is a good deal since on ebay the 3G is still selling for over $200. However, if he is signing a new contract for his son, it's probably better to get a FREE 3GS than to get a refurbished 3G for $149.

that is why i was going to try and get a cheap 4S haha. I ended up replacing the back panel and front panel myself for $200 anyways :)

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
You'll be able to find local places that should do it for around $30-$40. Look for cell phone repair shops that specializes in fixing iPhones. I was able to get sibling's 3GS replaced this way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.