Out of Warranty 4S Replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by thesillygoose, Jul 18, 2013.

1. thesillygoose, Jul 18, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2013

thesillygoose macrumors newbie

About 3 weeks ago my wife cracked the screen on her 4S. I had the screen replaced by a third party the same day. Now both cameras and the flash are not working and she is going crazy because she can not take pictures. I have tried multiple ways to troubleshoot this problem but can not fix it. She is not due for an upgrade on her AT&T contract until next March.

Can I still go to the Apple Store and pay for an Out of Warranty replacement for her phone? Does it matter that I have worked on the phone?

Thanks for the input

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

It shouldn't matter. Working on your phone would void the warranty, but as you're going in for an out of warranty replacement..you should be fine.

3. dave420 macrumors 65816

It depends on the quality of work the third party did. Apple does not cover devices that have had unauthorized work done on them, even with the out of warranty replacement option. Depending on what was done, or the parts used, they may or may not be able to tell. It is worth a shot to go to the Apple store and see if they will cover the repair.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why not go back to the guy who did the screen replacement and ask him to check things out?

5. TheProFTW macrumors regular

Most decent shops will fix it if they broke it.

6. thesillygoose thread starter macrumors newbie

I had the guy check the phone and we couldn't find anything loose or obviously wrong. There are a few threads on ifixit pertaining to the same camera issues after a screen replacement. This would happen from time to time with the iPhone 4 as well and was caused by a damaged jumper on the logic board -- but apparently the 4S logic board does not have the same jumper.

The quality of the work looks good. I guess I will go try my luck at the Apple Store and see what they say.

Thanks again

7. jdmass macrumors member

I just went through something similar. I accidentally went swimming with my phone :eek: and it was completely dead. I brought it to a local repair shop and the guy completely disassembled the phone and determined that the motherboard and screen were both bad, and told me that I'd be better off going to the Apple store to do an out of warranty replacement.

I went to the Apple store and was quoted $200 to swap a 32GB iphone 4S. I was going to do this, but a friend had an old iphone 4 that wasn't being used, and I took that instead. I'm planning on upgrading when the 5s (or whatever) comes out, so this saved me a bit of money and hassle.

I believe that Apple's replacement pricing varies depending on model. I didn't think $200 was a bad price, given that the phone was completely dead.

8. le3x macrumors newbie

My friend dropped his new iphone 5 and completely crashed all screen. And he paid 200 Eur for the replacement in the applestore in Germany. So, he has the new iphone now.