Out of warranty iPhone replacement

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fried-gold, Jun 18, 2012.

1. fried-gold, Jun 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2012

fried-gold macrumors member

A friend of mine recently lost his iPhone 4s and got it replaced by his mobile operator. A week later the old iPhone turned up in his garden totally drenched and unsurprisingly won't switch on. I've fixed a few iPhones in my time so he gave it to me to see if I could do anything with it but this one is beyond hope. Given that it was already replaced by the carrier, would apple still do anything to it under an out warranty repair/replacement? It sill has 3 months left of warranty, but to be honest I would happily pay the £150 to get it replaced if possible. It seems like a bit of waste just to throw it in the bin.

2. SpyderBite macrumors 65816

SpyderBite

1. If it is reported lost to the carrier, it likely won't activate if it were repaired as they usually block the meid # on lost/stolen phones.

2. Unless the warrantee is Apple Care+ vs standard Apple Care then it is not going to cover accidental damage & Apple is not going to offer a replacement.

3. fried-gold thread starter macrumors member

The phone is completly trashed, so there is no possibility of a repair, if they were to do anything to it, it would have to be a straight replacement. Correct me if I am wrong but I thought the imei # is linked to the logic board of the phone, so new phone = new imei.

As for the warranty apple offer an out-of-warranty repair which has a flat cost of around £150, http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone, which I believe covers water damage.

What I am really trying to find out is how much the network carriers and apple share information. For instance, if the phone has already been replaced by the carrier will apple refuse to repair it.

4. reclusive46 macrumors 65816

reclusive46

In the past, Apple have not exchanged this information. the networks would love people to do this, more money for them!

5. war eagle macrumors 6502a

Just take it in. They aren't going to check if the IMEI is blocked.

6. fried-gold thread starter macrumors member

Thanks reclusive46 + war eagle, good to know, I'll take it in this week and see how I get on.

7. sadievan macrumors regular

Definitely take it in to an Apple store. My sister in law dropped her iPhone 4 in the sink a few months ago. Wouldn't turn on at all. She had insurance with Verizon so she went there with her phone. She was able to upgrade to the 4S. She figured she would try Apple to see if they could repair it so she could keep it as a spare. They replaced it for her for $149. Now my brother uses it.

Carol