Out of Warranty MacBook: Will Apple at least look at it for me?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by sapsjr, Oct 11, 2012.

1. sapsjr macrumors newbie

I have an early 2011 MacBook Air that will not charge (or turn on) at all. It's been like this since July. It's most likely water damage...it got like two drops of rain and stopped working.

Will Apple at least be able to look at it? ..possibly tell me what's wrong...and charge me if they have to?

It's a long drive to the Apple store..I'll be leaving here shortly to take my chances. It'd be nice to know whether they'd look at it or not :) if its not worth fixing I guess I'll have to sell it for parts on eBay :/

Thanks for reading this!

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

They'll look at it, but they may charge you a bench fee for it. Then if you want them to fix it, that would be at an additional cost. It would be good to call your local store and ask them about it.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your best bet is to simply call the store before you leave and ask them. I don't think they'd charge to simply diagnose the problem, but a phone call removes all doubt.

4. r0k macrumors 68040

r0k

The probably won't help you without an appointment. You need to make an appointment before you leave (unless they really aren't very busy).

They diagnosed my 2008 Macbook free of charge at a Genius Bar appointment. It turns out I had a bad SSD drive. They booted over the network from one of their known good OSX images and all the symptoms I had been seeing were solved.

I would expect them to charge me if they found out I needed an actual repair but the diagnosis was free.