Out of warranty repair or buy new?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by kimndave, Aug 25, 2015.

1. kimndave macrumors newbie

Hello,

I own an iPad 3 64GB model which is no longer under warranty. The 30-pin adapter port has been causing problems for some and just recently stopped working totally. Can this be fixed through the $299 out of warranty repair? If so, is it replaced and what model would it be replaced with? I'm trying to determine whether to take the repair route or purchase a new iPad. If it would be replaced with anything older than in iPad Air, I don't think the repair price would be worth it. There is an Apple store approximately 45 miles from my location. Do you suggest that I make an appointment with them? Thanks in advance for your input!

2. 617aircav Suspended

I was able to buy a cellular iPad air 16gb, in mint condition off swappa for under $300. I would not pay that much for a 3.

3. kimndave thread starter macrumors newbie

I guess my question is - if i can do the out of warranty repair, and they replace the iPad, would they replace it with another Third Generation or would it be a more recent model? I agree, $299 is too much to pay for an iPad 3, but would be a good deal for either an Air or Air 2.

4. 617aircav Suspended

5. ron7624 Contributor

ron7624

Agreed. You would get the same model. I'm not sure if you could get the same actual device back.

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Out of warranty repairs on iPads are pointless unless the device is current. You'll be paying more than the market value.

Have you checked for debris in the connector as that is usually the cause of the port failing?