Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
So, not that I need it (yay), but just asking out of curiosity/future reference.

I was at the apple store while my dad was getting a 4S and I mentioned to my dad that Apple would replace his phone if it broke out of warranty for 200 dollars (long as it was in one piece and all).

Of which the Apple guy said that was not true, you'd have to buy a brand new one and pay full price for a new one.

Now, I know I heard that with the new applecare + they said they were going to be less lenient (which I took about being nice and replacing phones for free when it was out of warranty for whatever reason), but have they also removed the policy of "fixing" out of warranty iphones with a 200 dollar refurbished phone?

himynameiscody

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2011
from what i understand as long as it is not obliterated or super wet they'll give you a refurbished for $200 or so...which i hope is true...that is one of the main reason i got an iphone, for the customer service. goes to show good CS will bring customers

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
iPhones ineligible for warranty service can be replaced for $199 if an iPhone 4S, and $149 for any other model. Reference: Link

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Thanks guys. I guess the Apple guy didn't like me ruining his spiel to try to sell Applecare (He outright denied it and said that you'd have to pay for a new phone outright).

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Thanks guys. I guess the Apple guy didn't like me ruining his spiel to try to sell Applecare (He outright denied it and said that you'd have to pay for a new phone outright).

Typical salespeople.
That's why its better to do your own research before you buy anything than rely on sales staff that care about their pocket instead of yours;)

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
Typical salespeople.
That's why its better to do your own research before you buy anything than rely on sales staff that care about their pocket instead of yours;)

Many of them are actually completely clueless about everything and require detailed step by step instructions to put on their pants in the morning!

Minhimalism

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2012
Texas
It really, really depends on who you're talking to, honestly. Policy is policy but the way things go depends on the sales person you get. I took my broken iPhone (water damaged presumably, got it from eBay, with no Wi-Fi or Bluetooth) to one store and got completely shot down and told to not bring it back or even try to get an Apple Store employee to work on the phone. I then went to another store and the guy was like oh so the Wi-Fi died..? I guess I'll check your warranty (I was 21 days out) and he knew I had no legitimate reason to have a broken phone but he was just a really cool guy and gave my my refurbished replacement for free..

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Many of them are actually completely clueless about everything and require detailed step by step instructions to put on their pants in the morning!

That's why all the "my friend who works at the Apple store told me xxxxx" are so funny...they really don't know anything more than you or I.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Typical salespeople.

Which is why I asked here ;).

(and honestly, it depends on the store and salespeople. I get the impression Apple stores really push their employees to sell that stuff though and they tend to hire people they feel will fit into their store ethic. Everythign I understand is that when hiring the thing they look most for is personality type vs. knowledge or anything like that).

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Typical salespeople.

None of those salespeople are commissioned as far as I am aware. As such, spreading incorrect information is likely a case of misinformation more than looking out for one's pockets.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
None of those salespeople are commissioned as far as I am aware. As such, spreading incorrect information is likely a case of misinformation more than looking out for one's pockets.

I was talking in general.
Even though Apple reps are not commisioned to sell Applecare their incentive is still there to sell more devices and warranties to the customer.
Many misinformed sales associates out there.

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State

Neither are Best Buy's. But there is such thing as, "if you don't sell this many warranties, you'll find your hours are severely reduced."

Just because they don't get commission doesn't mean they don't have other ways to motivate them.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Neither are Best Buy's. But there is such thing as, "if you don't sell this many warranties, you'll find your hours are severely reduced."

Just because they don't get commission doesn't mean they don't have other ways to motivate them.

So they are told to get motivated by giving misinformation (ie telling them they will have to buy a brand new phone if they break it)? I simply don't believe that. Pushing warranties is one thing. Downright lieing is another.

Also, let us think this through. I am an Apple worker and I tell the guy that if he breaks his phone he needs to buy a new one, full retail. Who is to say he is going to come back to me and buy it? That is the only way that salesperson is going to get credit for the sale; if he actually rings the buyer out. I just don't see this specific scenario making sense. The employee, in this case, has a VERY small chance to gain anything by giving out this misinformation.

----------

They shouldn't be cutting hours for not making the sale. If you are caught not offering the warranty, you will be placed on a performance plan. Whether you sell them or not SHOULD be irrelevant. The great majority of those who are not selling warranties are those that are found not offering them for whatever reason. You only get 1/10 offers even considering it. My fiance works for Best Buy on the corporate level, which is where I get my info by the way.

Last edited:

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
Also, let us think this through. I am an Apple worker and I tell the guy that if he breaks his phone he needs to buy a new one, full retail. Who is to say he is going to come back to me and buy it? That is the only way that salesperson is going to get credit for the sale; if he actually rings the buyer out. I just don't see this specific scenario making sense. The employee, in this case, has a VERY small chance to gain anything by giving out this misinformation.

And, I'm telling you, the Apple guy pretty much refuted that Apple offered a 200 dollar warranty replacement. It happened whether you think it was illogical or not. Maybe he was just mis informed, or maybe he didn't want to lose that warranty sale. Just cause maybe it wasn't a good idea on his part doesn't mean he won't do it. People can be stupid and think only of the short term (sell this warranty, make my manager happy that I sold more). Hell, companies all the time get themselves in trouble by thinking only of short term goals and not how things affect them long term.

They shouldn't be cutting hours for not making the sale. If you are caught not offering the warranty, you will be placed on a performance plan. Whether you sell them or not SHOULD be irrelevant. The great majority of those who are not selling warranties are those that are found not offering them for whatever reason. You only get 1/10 offers even considering it. My fiance works for Best Buy on the corporate level, which is where I get my info by the way.

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've heard several people who work (or worked) at best buy mention that happens.

It's called giving the managers bonus's for making a certain amount of sales. And the managers deciding that to motivate their employees they'll make the hours appear or disappear depending on who is selling the most. It's pretty easy to hide even if there are regulations against it.

I mean you have to prove their motivations for increasing or decreasing hours has to do with warrantys sold. But the employees sure notice that since they didn't meet quota, their hours seemed to magically disappear (to some small amount they can't get by on).

My point wasn't really to argue whether Best Buy does this, but to say that just because some one says they aren't on commission, doesn't mean they aren't pressured in some way to sell that warranty. That there are other ways to apply pressure to sell those warranties. Including job security or even just how many hours you get.

Oh, and your wife works for corporate Best Buy? Well let me just tell her maybe she needs to tell Best Buy they need to stop focusing on short term sales and not pissing people off with bad customer service. I've stopped buying from them from years ago because they pissed me off enough I refuse to give them a dime of my money. And from my experience with them, and from lots of other people's experiences, they seem to focus too much on getting the sale now no matter what and less on retaining customers. At this point it's been long enough that I might give them another chance if they actually claimed that hey, we know we have problems with our customer service and thinking short term and we're changing that and it shows that they really have changed direction. Specially since there are so few brick and mortar stores that sell electronics these days. But until it seems Best Buy has realized their own stupidity and really are working towards having decent to good customer service, I'll avoid them.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY

And, I'm telling you, the Apple guy pretty much refuted that Apple offered a 200 dollar warranty replacement. Maybe he was just mis informed, or maybe he didn't want to lose that warranty sale. Just cause maybe it wasn't a good idea on his part doesn't mean he won't do it. People can be stupid and think only of the short term (sell this warranty, make my manager happy that I sold more).

Doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I've heard several people who work (or worked) at best buy mention that happens.

It's called giving the managers bonus's for making a certain amount of sales. And the managers deciding that to motivate their employees they'll make the hours appear or disappear depending on who is selling the most. It's pretty easy to hide even if there are regulations against it.

I mean you have to prove their motivations for increasing or decreasing hours has to do with warrantys sold. But the employees sure notice that since they didn't meet quota, their hours seemed to magically disappear (to some small amount they can't get by on).

My point wasn't really to argue whether Best Buy does this, but to say that just because some one says they aren't on commission, doesn't mean they aren't pressured in some way to sell that warranty. That there are other ways to apply pressure to sell those warranties. Including job security or even just how many hours you get.

The pressure is to sell Applecare+ and One to One you wont be fired if you dont though

unethical

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Funny, I paid the $200 for the out of warranty replacement, got a brand new iPhone 4, the lock button didn't work, the earphone jack would get stuck, and the home button has to be pressed really hard for it work.

And guess what? Even the same day I got the new replacement, there was no warranty on the replacement which I just paid $200 for.

I could have spent that $200 to just renew my contract, and get a brand new iphone 4S, WITH a warranty.

jdugan4859

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2011
The lock button on my launch day 4 took a complete crap on me last week. Apple hooked me up with a referb, which seems better than my 1st phone, 32 gig iPhone 4 for $149.00. In a couple days I will have it sim unlocked fr AT&T, and when the 5 comes out I will be able to sell it for more than the $150 I paid for it. My other phone was trash, it was used hard over the last 2 years, I had tried to fix the lock button about 6 months ago, and it would have just gone in the drawer, even if I did try and sell it I wouldn't have gotten much for it.

unethical

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Lock, volume up, speaker

UNREAL / I'm going crazy from my bad luck !!!!!!!!

Top lock button was defective.
Took to genius bar at apple.
They said I have no warranty.
I was a very nice person, as I usually am.
They were kind enough to do an exception and replace my phone.
Went home, and the UP volume button was dead.
Drove back, parked, walked, etc.
Genius bar, made appointment, waited.
They noticed I got a new phone an hour before.
They gave me another exception and a new phone.
Listened to music from the phone's speaker for a bit.

EVERY 3-5 minutes, speaker would shut off. But ipod music player still on PLAY.
I tap the phone, and the speaker comes back. We know it's not the headphone jack, or else the player would pause.

I AM GOING NUTS!!!!!!!!!! About to just hammer the phone into tiny little pieces and take it back to the store just for kicks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.