Out of Warranty Replacements?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kumquat, Sep 28, 2013.

1. kumquat macrumors regular

kumquat

Do the out of warranty replacements include, for instance, a phone which has completely stopped working because it went through the wash?

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

http://support.apple.com/kb/index?page=servicefaq&geo=United_States&product=iphone
    Bolded what I thought applied to your question :)

3. GrimmsGirl macrumors 6502

GrimmsGirl

I'd have to say yes, essentially they don't care why you're replacing the phone OOW. I just replaced an iPad 4 because of a cracked screen which I admitted to the genius was totally my fault and I walked out of the store 10 minutes later with a (probably) refurbished iPad 4 at the OOW replacement price.

4. kumquat, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

kumquat thread starter macrumors regular

kumquat

I'll go try to deal with them tomorrow, I guess. Any idea how much they're currently charging for an OOW 32GB black 4s?

I've already ordered a 5s from Sprint as I've just reached my new phone eligibility mark, but really was neither wanting nor planning to upgrade until next year and had wanted to keep my 4s to use as an iPod and wifi remote.

Sprint says that if I mail the iPhone back to them with their exchange program that they'll give me $155 for it despite it no longer working at all and so I'm also considering doing that and buying either a refurb 4th gen touch from Apple for $179 or a "new" 4th gen touch from Amazon for $203. The main issue is that I have all of these docks and cables and my freaking car stereo which only work with 30-pin and the 8-pin adapters seem to be really hit and miss and to replace 9 of them plus the charging HDMI connector winds up being $360.

5. jschu22 macrumors regular

How much is an OOW replacement for a 4S and can you sell it for more than that? That would be a factor to me.

6. DarkSel macrumors 6502

It's $269, I believe.

You could potentially sell a 32 GB model for ~$350ish on EBay or Craigslist.

7. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Mistaken...

Attached Files:

8. kumquat thread starter macrumors regular

kumquat

Thanks for posting that. I couldn't find that info when I was digging around. $199 for a refurb 4s definitely pushes me toward doing an OOW vs letting Sprint buy it back and buying half the device in a touch for about the same price.

In regards to selling it on eBay, I realize people will buy just about anything, but how could the parts of a water logged 4s be worth anything close to $350? It really is in almost mint condition externally (and VERY clean now!) but it's still completely non-functional and probably beginning to rust inside.

9. kumquat thread starter macrumors regular

kumquat

So, it was like $212 with tax but the guy didn't give me the box so i don't have the serial number etc and I can't for the life of me make the sim pop out and apparently my genius also forgot to file his paperwork at the end of the night so the records show that my phone is still being repaired despite it having been swapped out around 8:30 tonight. Anyway, the place was packed and I was shifted through 2 different levels of genius tables and the guy ahead of me was forcing his genius to delete and rename people in his address book...