outgoing calls fail - what are the warranty and upgrade possibilities?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by choppper, Jun 3, 2009.

1. choppper macrumors newbie

My 3G works fine for SMS, Email, incoming calls, internet, WiFi, skype, but outgoing calls fail every time.

The AT&T store couldn't fix it and told me to go to the Mac store, where "they will most likely replace the unit, since it is still under warranty". I just have the regular 1-year warranty that comes with the phone, and it's still valid since I bought it in December.

I have a few questions about what my options will be:

1) Has anyone had this problem, where the phone stops making outgoing calls, but does everything else? Was the solution to replace the phone, or did they do something else? (ATT already tried changing out the SIM card, and it's not a billing issue)
    2) do they have a way of tracking how many times it's been dropped, and are they going to try to tell me that the phone not working is my fault, and is thus not covered?
    3) if they give me a new phone, will they give me a brand new phone, or a refurbished one?
    4) If they give me a new phone, could upgrade to the next generation (if it comes out in the next week or two), or could I upgrade from 8 GB to 16 GB, or do would I have to get a 3G 8 GB again?
    5) Once I have the new phone, would the warranty clock re-set (I've had my phone since December, so if I get a new one in June, is the warranty on the new phone good through December 2009, or June 2010)

Thanks for the help!

2. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

1. [3]They will replace it with a refurb
      [4]They will give you the same/color capacity and will shoot most people down if you want to upgrade
      [5]The warranty on the replacement does not get reset, it stays the same

Sorry I can't help with the first two. Good luck!

3. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

Not personally...

No, but this question makes me suspicious. The question alludes to the fact that you've dropped it a lot, and if there is visible physical damage then yes, that does void your warranty. When there is obvious physical damage there is no way you could prove that you didn't cause the defect, and thus apple is not responsible for it.

It will be a refurb.

Warranty exchanges aren't purchasing opportunities. You will be given the exact same phone you have now.

The warranty period does not reset.

4. core2duo macrumors member

Before you go to the Genius Bar, I would call AT&T and ask them to re-provision your account. You may need to escalate several levels in the support chain to get there, but that's likely what will solve your issue. At least it did for me, with the same symptoms.