Outgoing SMTP over 3G - works on iPhone 3/4 but why not on iPad 2?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by stevod, Apr 6, 2011.

1. stevod macrumors member

I have an iPhone 4 and iPad 2. Both have the same four mail accounts (on two different ISPs/hosts) set up. All work perfectly over wifi.

On the 3G connection, it's not possible to use the same SMTP servers from the ISP (which they block to prevent spam IIRC), and the 3G carrier's outgoing SMTP server must be used. Fine. So they're set up as an 'other' SMTP server, with the device saying:

"If Mail is unsuccessful using the primary server, it will try the other SMTP servers in succession."

On the iphone 4 (and my iphone 3GS before that) this works perfectly, and when out of wifi range it cannot use the primary servers and uses instead the 3G carrier's server - in this case O2. Wonderful.

On the ipad 2 it doesn't work. All addresses OK over wifi, but on 3G it doesn't use the carrier's server - in this case Orange.

When I change the primary server for Orange, or turn off the primary server so the only server available is Orange, it works and sends e-mail. But put something else as the primary and mail just sits in the outbox.

Orange told me I had to switch the server as above whenever going onto their network for it to work. Well I know that shouldn't be the case from my iphone. She also told me that there are so many cell towers within 5 or 10 miles of me with ongoing maintenance that it's not surprising I have a problem as it's due to signal strength. Well I'm in the middle of London so there's a lot of cell towers, oh and I have full strength, oh and I'm not that stupid. And then she said it's due to the merger with T-Mobile which will be sorted by then end of the month. She really said all of this.

So I asked her to stop so that I could seek help elsewhere........

.........any ideas anyone?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers,

Stephen

2. stevod thread starter macrumors member

3. stevod thread starter macrumors member

Guys I thought you'd have had me fixed in no time! Oh well.....

S

4. stevod thread starter macrumors member

Last try at bumping this in case anyone else is having the same problem or knows a solution.

Cheers,

S

5. warwickl macrumors newbie

IPAD fails to "try other SMTP servers in succession".

I have exactly the same problem on my IPAD.. V frustrating. Mails typically sit in my Outbox until i get back in WiFi range. Otherwise I need to fiddle around with SMTP settings and only turn on the cell providers SMPT server (i.e. turn off the normal WIFI SMTP server). V irritating as I deal with multiple Email accounts... Defeats the object of having a mobile Ipad if it doesnt work, and involves significant schelpp, time waste to get mails sent when outside wifi range.

(PS, Ive swapped back from Iphone to BBerry - so cant say whether Iphone will successfully "try other SMTP servers in succession"). Sending mail works perfectly from all BBerry accounts whether connected to WIFI or 3G, and data usage is significantly lower than Iphone when sending mails while overseas while data roaming.