Outlook.com Vs. Gmail

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Primejimbo, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

With gmail no longer pushing and you have to use their app for it. I'm thinking of trying an outlook email address.

I don't use the gmail very much at all, but I really like the push and it's my iTunes log in. I'm thinking switching and also making the outlook.com my iTunes log in also. I like they also have a 2 step verification, and everything is pushed into the stock Apple email app.

Anyone else using outlook.com?

I do .me as my main email, but Apple has yet to change it so I can use my .me as my iTunes account also.

thank you,

2. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

yes many use it, there is a thread of fwd gmail to outlook

3. sundog925 macrumors 6502a

Outlook is brilliant now with IMAP access. Im about to ditch gmail completely.

4. shaee macrumors newbie

Thinking about dumping gmail but read there is a delay in sending and receiving in outlook up to 10 or 15 min sometimes. While the gmail was no more than 30 sec. Not sure if its true.

5. techiegirl macrumors 6502a

techiegirl

I haven't had any delays and I've been using it for a few weeks.

6. RichP74 macrumors regular

I tried using Outlook.com for the last two months and it's been a complete pain in the ass.

Everything from e-mails getting lost, to delays in sending, to corrupted e-mails (happens when somebody sends from an iPhone and chooses to cut the messages off via "Download rest of message?" option), it just sucks.

I ended up forwarding everything from Gmail to iCloud, and have been much happier.

7. watchthisspace macrumors 6502a

I enjoy Outlook quite a lot. Works well.

iCloud is definitely worthy or consideration.

8. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

Just configure Outlook using Exchange on your iPhone/iPad rather than IMAP. Exchange is an infinitely better option.

9. jason2811 macrumors 6502a

"I don't use the gmail very much at all..."

So then why do you need it to Push?

10. shaee macrumors newbie

The issues with iCloud is their how many emails you can send limit and only 5gb limit.

11. D3TSURA macrumors member

Every once in a while I try to use gmail or outlook but I always go back to iCloud and my @mac.com address.

12. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

No clue how anything like that can happen.

I've been using Outlook.com since it was in beta early last year, and have been so satisfied with it that I discontinued my paid Exchange mail hosting. On my iPhone, setup using activesync via the Exchange wizard, it behaves exactly like hosted email should with push, folders, etc.

I used GMail from its beta days back in 2002-2003 until about 2009, then switched to a .Me address, then used hosted exchange for a while, and now use Outlook. This is the most satisfied I've ever been with any email service, hands down. It just works, pretty much like an Apple product.

13. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

People still email me on it, and I like the push also. I also just done with gmail and google and want to try something new.

My .Me is my main email also, but I can't use it for iTunes.

14. Rigby macrumors 601

I switched to Outlook.com a couple of weeks ago and it works very well for me. What pushed me over the edge was when they introduced IMAP support (I need this to access my mail from OS X/Windows machines, and don't like to be locked into a proprietary email client, i.e. Outlook).

The system is surprisingly flexible and I still discover new features. For example, yesterday I found that you can subscribe to online (webcal) calendars in the web interface, which then get automatically pushed down to my iOS devices (connecting via EAS of course) without any further configurations. :)

15. D3TSURA macrumors member

Why can't you use it for your iTunes?

16. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

I get this when I try too.

Attached Files:

17. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

for people who have outlook.com, I remember years ago when I had hotmail, if I didn't log in for 30 days I would have issue (account disabled), does that still happen?

18. D3TSURA macrumors member

Oh, you're not allowed to change it to an mac/me/icloud account. I guess that makes sense in that Apple does not allow the merging of accounts and when you create an iCloud account it's automatically an iTunes account.

I was lucky in that while I did have an iTunes account prior to signing up to .mac, but I hadn't really purchased that much on the account so I just repurchased what little music that I had gotten from iTunes.

Would be nice if Apple gave you the option when you sign up to iCloud to not use it for an iTunes account, so then you we be able to change it to your new email.

19. JohnnyIOS macrumors member

I've used both Outlook.com (aka Hotmail) for a long time and now am kinda enjoying Yahoo!

Gmail is nice but too cluttered, I don't know... either way Big Brother NSA can sniff you out no matter which provider you're using :)

20. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

It's stupid to use IMAP on outlook.com use exchange on iPhone

----------

nope

21. Rigby macrumors 601

Outlook.com accounts expire after 270 days of inactivity, same as Gmail. If you want you can also pay $20/year for "ad-free Outlook" which, besides removing the ads from the web interface, also prevents the account from expiring indefinitely.

22. Primejimbo thread starter macrumors 68040

So far I like it and my emails are just as fast as gmail.

Thanks!!!!!

23. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I had no problem getting my outlook emails on my 4S on a timely basis.

24. Steviejobz macrumors 68000

25. AppleFan91 macrumors 65816

AppleFan91

I personally dumped gmail for Yahoo and HUGE mistake so then I just said the heck with it and went to icloud and Iove it