Outlook makes the Mail.app look lame

StellarVixen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
There. I said it.

While Outlook is improving with every version, Mail app looks like relic from the past.

Everything from UI to how well everything integrates together (contacts, calendar, tasks and notes) makes the Outlook a winner. While the Mail app looks like it was just assembled to give Mac users something, until they realize there are better options around.

The only downside is that Outlook comes with the Office package, so it's not free.

Reactions: user_xyz

satcomer

macrumors 603
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
There. I said it.

While Outlook is improving with every version, Mail app looks like relic from the past.

Everything from UI to how well everything integrates together (contacts, calendar, tasks and notes) makes the Outlook a winner. While the Mail app looks like it was just assembled to give Mac users something, until they realize there are better options around.

The only downside is that Outlook comes with the Office package, so it's not free.
Enjoy the yearly fees too!😋

Reactions: Arcade

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
Outlook on the Mac is far from perfect. My gripes with it are:
  • No support for the today view
  • No finder add-on available. I would like to be able to send a file via Outlook directly from the Finder..
  • No support for the OS notifications. Outlook uses its own (lame) notifications
In general, Outlook lacks the OS integration I would like to have.

D3ggy

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2019
Outlook on the Mac is far from perfect. My gripes with it are:
  • No support for the today view
  • No finder add-on available. I would like to be able to send a file via Outlook directly from the Finder..
  • No support for the OS notifications. Outlook uses its own (lame) notifications
In general, Outlook lacks the OS integration I would like to have.
I tried it today and the first thing I wanted was show unread. When I applied the filter it returned nothing despite knowing there were 5 unread messages to see.

How long do you think I kept using it for after that? 20 minutes after repeatedly trying to get to unread messages.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 1, 2018
Earth
I tried it today and the first thing I wanted was show unread. When I applied the filter it returned nothing despite knowing there were 5 unread messages to see.

How long do you think I kept using it for after that? 20 minutes after repeatedly trying to get to unread messages.
Can't help you, as I never had that problem.

If it was happening regularly, you think anyone sane in their mind would be using Outlook?

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany

I never had that, but sometimes Outlook will not refresh the smart folder (Unread) properly.

n-evo

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
I use Mail for my private messages and Outlook (Office 365) for my work mail. To be honest, the complete lack of system integration is what annoys the most about Outlook. It doesn't use the custom keyboard shortcuts I've set in System Preferences. I has these ugly custom pop-up windows. And frankly I come across these bugs and unexpected behavior I don't encounter anywhere else. On the e-mail side of things I'm not doing anything with Outlook I'm not doing with Mail and vice versa.

That said it's true Mail hasn't received an overhaul in ages, but then again I don't really miss features there either. Overhauling Mail in my case would be changing things for the sake of change. Which isn't bad per se, but it isn't necessary either.

Fuchal

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2003
Mail works like a normal mail client and that's why I like it. I don't need workflow integrations, snoozing, or things like that. And there are plenty of good options for people who do want those things.

petvas

macrumors 601
Jul 20, 2006
Mannheim, Germany
I use Mail for my private messages and Outlook (Office 365) for my work mail. To be honest, the complete lack of system integration is what annoys the most about Outlook. It doesn't use the custom keyboard shortcuts I've set in System Preferences. I has these ugly custom pop-up windows. And frankly I come across these bugs and unexpected behavior I don't encounter anywhere else. On the e-mail side of things I'm not doing anything with Outlook I'm not doing with Mail and vice versa.

That said it's true Mail hasn't received an overhaul in ages, but then again I don't really miss features there either. Overhauling Mail in my case would be changing things for the sake of change. Which isn't bad per se, but it isn't necessary either.
I don't want to use two mail clients, but I agree with everything you wrote about Outlook..
Mail should get better with Exchange (O365) accounts. This is its biggest weakness..

n-evo

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
Mail works like a normal mail client and that's why I like it. I don't need workflow integrations, snoozing, or things like that. And there are plenty of good options for people who do want those things.
Mail actually has the a ability to silence a conversation in Catalina haha ;-) I noticed the bell symbol in its toolbar the other day.