Output on Dell Monitor looks worst with 15" RMBP

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cramazing, Apr 19, 2013.

1. cramazing macrumors 6502

Hi,

I have a Dell U2713H connected to my 15" MBP Retina and the output is just awful.

I previously had a 13 MBP Retina and the out was much much better.

This cant be right since the 15" has a better graphic card.

so it must be the settings, can someone please help me with this.

Thanks!

2. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Go to your Display Preferences in System Preferences and play around with the external Display settings.
    Too hard for us to do that for you.

3. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

so its the settings on the display, and not on the Mac?

4. justperry macrumors 604

justperry

Maybe both but that's not what I said, I said: Open Display Preferences on your Mac, it's in in the System Preferences.

5. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

it didn't work, I try to change the settings but the colors are all just mess up, there has to be something that I'm missing.

wish there was someone out there with the same monitor and computer to help out.

6. macman34 macrumors regular

Are you sure it's not an issue with the port/cable you are connecting it with? Do a reset on the monitor and check the cables.

7. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

i use the same cable on the 15" as i did on the 13"

its a display port cable

and i also tried resetting the monitor settings to factory as well

8. IGregory, Apr 21, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2013

IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

I’ve had my U2713H for two weeks and it works great with my retina 15". I initially had problems with blur and fuzzy text. I used a mini displayport to thunderbolt cable. Many of the internet commenters that I read said that cable was the best to use. However, after not achieving success, I used the Dell supplied displayport to thunderbolt cable and my problems disappeared. Make sure the monitor settings are correct. Under menu on the display make sure mac (not PC) is selected, present mode select standard, and select the appropriate input source. Those were the only adjustments that I made as far as clarity is concern.

Make sure you read the instructions for the monitor if you intend to use its features. :)

Update: One more thing. In system preferences on your Mac, under display, make sure scaled is selected not best for Retina. I like 1600x900 resolution myself.

If you intend to route your external speakers through the monitor you need to make an adjustment to sound on your Mac in system preferences. Just select the monitor U2713H. Note, the monitor will only appear in system preferences when it is connected and turned on. It took me a while to figure that out.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Personally I had no problems with my Dell U2713HM even tough someone here in another thread tried to convince me otherwise. In any case there does seem to be a fix here http://embdev.net/topic/284710.

Give it a try and good luck.

10. tillsbury macrumors 65816

I remember some messages months ago about certain Dell monitors being recognised as TVs instead of monitors by the rMBP, and you have to click something to tell it what's really going on. Search back a bit...

11. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

I don't know if that is the problem because my unit says TV and it is working fine. Their are several discussions about this issue on this forum. Here's the latest.

To find this info on your Mac go to menu bar, click the Apple, click about this Mac, click more information, click system report, click graphics, and highlight the Nvidia's 680M graphic card. At least that's where it is on the rMBP 15'.

12. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the reply, I am actually using the Dell supplied display port cable to TB, thats how I have been using it the entire time.

The image is like super sharp with the 15", and it was perfect with the 13"

I adjust the sharpness on the monitor and it helped a little bit but still not as good.

when i get home tonight i will play wiht it again using your advice.

13. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

well i just tried the above, and it didnt work, same problem...
    the image is just wayyyyy too sharp and blurry

14. IGregory macrumors 6502a

IGregory

Sorry - its funny how different people get different results using different methods.

15. ljonesj macrumors 6502a

ljonesj

i dont have a thunderbolt capable macbook but i know i have 2 mini display port to vga adapters one works perfect and looks great the other is really awful

16. takeshi74 macrumors 601

That doesn't make any sense. Those two words are antonyms. Can you post a photo? What settings are you using? Don't bother with the sharpness setting on the display itself.

17. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i just notice that.

The screen result is just very sharp, so sharp that it is in a way kinda blurry and hard to read.

18. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

well here's a print screen, but i dont know if it looks the same on my screen as it does on yours.

Attached Files:

19. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

so Im looking at the picture from my work monitor and it looks perfectly fine...

its the screen I have at home, cant find the fix :(

20. lixuelai macrumors 6502a

I would buy a Apple Dual Link DVI adapter and see if there is any difference. If there is then it is likely the RGB issue someone linked already. If there is no difference you can always return the adapter (buy it from Amazon).

21. mm201 macrumors regular

There was an issue with some Dell screens going into YCC colour mode when hooked up to Macs. Open the monitor OSD and make sure it's in RGB mode.

Also 99% of "monitor issues" don't show up in printscreens. >_<

22. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

when i turn it to RGB mode, the colors is all mess up and the screen is like pink

i saw in another thread that theres a fix for this by update the driver, but I'm really new to this and i requested for help in that thread, unfortunately no one is responding :(

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1481582

23. mm201 macrumors regular

Changing it on the monitor doesn't change the signal it's receiving, which is why you see pink and grey. You need to get the rMBP to output RGB.

That's the thread I was looking for. They do a better job explaining it than I could. :confused:
    If you can use an HDMI-DVI or Thunderbolt-DVI cable, that should fix it too.

24. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Check out the link I posted above. That will explain the whole thing for you.

25. cramazing thread starter macrumors 6502

my display is a 2560x1440.
    a HDMI or DVI wont get me the resolution im looking for.

----------

i tried doing this but im not sure if i did it right.

I tried it using terminal, i enter the codes, and nothing change.
    if there was an easier step by step for me i would try it.