Outrage follows probation for teen who killed four in crash

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Dec 11, 2013.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Where are all the poor kids who have ****** parents on probation?

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/Defe...in-drunken-crash-that-killed-4-235288101.html

2. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

on it's face, it is really messed up, although given his precedents, it would seems unlikely this guy can go the 10 years without falling afoul of the probation terms
    in any case, if the parents are responsible, shouldn't they also be accountable?

3. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Our prisons are overcrowded as it is, I'd rather see this kid get therapy which it looks like he needs, and might give him a chance to turn his life around, than see him locked up in prison and have any chance of a life that doesn't involve more crime.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I'm almost the opposite, because next week will be 22 years to the day that a girlfriend I was dating in high school was hit and killed by a drunk driver.

The drunk driver was able to get out and walk away from the accident. She didn't.

He needs to realize that there are more lives affected by his antics and think about his consequences before he makes a decision like that. No amount of apologizing and therapy are going to bring those lives back. None.

I've had my say, so I'm going to stay out of this one now. This hits too close to home for me.

BL.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

This sets another example of the wealthy getting over. Therapy is all he gets, after being responsible for four deaths? You got to be kidding me.

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I definitely get the desire for revenge in cases like this, but no amount of prison time will bring them back either. All prison does is give him time to learn from other criminals and quite possibly reoffend and take more lives when he eventually gets out.

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. This kid should spend some time behind bars.

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The defense attorney has it correct, seems they were expecting up to 20 years in prison for the kid. And the defense attorney figured a max of 2 years in prison for the kid for the 20 year sentence.

But the judge did and end run around everyone and fashioned a sentence that keeps the kid in the criminal justice system for 10 years instead of 2, leaves his fate up to him, and will result in 10 years in prison if he messes up.

And likely he will if him and him family don't change things quick.

---

While I personally would have liked to have seen him locked up now, I don't mind waiting for him to mess up.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Nice to know if you have the cash you can get away with murder. :rolleyes:

Hopefully someone distributes an old fashioned ass beating on this kid outside of the court room.

10. FX120 macrumors 65816

FX120

The only rational answer is to ban alcohol.

11. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

And mass murdering pickup trucks.

12. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

While the outcome was nowhere NEAR as lenient, there was a similar case in my area that had a controversial outcome.

The defendant struck an SUV occupied by 4 high school students while driving on a highway, the SUV rolled and 2 were killed. He ended up pleading out, and during the sentencing it was made clear why - he had been drinking, doing drugs, was driving 20 MPH over the limit and was texting someone to set up his next drug purchase when he struck the other vehicle. There were also plenty of witnesses that could testify that, regardless of his level of impairment, he had been driving recklessly. On top of all that, he had received 22 tickets and been involved in 4 collisions in his SIX YEARS of driving eligibility (he's 22, permits are allowed at 16). His sentence? 5-15 years, likely out in 5, though the judge encouraged the families to make EVERY parole hearing to encourage he be held longer.

The justice system is turning into an INjustice system. In the case local to me, the families of the victims feel the defendant should have gotten a stricter sentence. In the OP's case, other than the parents not really paying attention to what the "child" does, how are they to blame? Where did he get the alcohol? Maybe this is just the result of "parents" that work 7 AM to 9 PM and they spend little to no time together as a family. Parents like that disgust me, when I was a kid my dad was home by 6 every night, we had dinner as a family, watched the evening news and discussed our respective days. I'm no psychologist or lawyer but I think many parents are stretching themselves and their families thin on a daily basis and it results in situations like these.

Actually, brings to mind another nearby case. Some friends of a teen that died in what I think was a one-car crash are being held responsible for her death because they didn't take her keys when they realized she was too drunk to drive home from a party. These are TEENS, they shouldn't even be DRINKING!

13. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Where's that pesky death penalty :p

Must've been nice, not all children are as privileged. Some parents need to work those hours to make ends meet.

14. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Even in the UK or even Norway where sentences are generally much more lenient than the US this sentence would be comedically low.

16. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Welcome to America. Land of the Free...if your parents are loaded.

17. prostuff1 macrumors 65816

prostuff1

So he kills 4 and gets to essentially walk free, assuming he does not violate probation.

That's ********!

They should lock him in jail for 5-10 AND have the therapy he is supposedly getting while not in jail done while he sits behind bars and contemplates the ****up of his life.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

How in the world is only two years in actual prison appropriate for someone who killed four people drink driving?

----------

Drink driving that kills four people is a real crime that should result in a real sentence.

Hell doing 70mph in a 40 zone when there are people around is a reasonably serious crime (and I say that when I said doing 70 in a 55 in the countryside was a non-issue.)

19. Happybunny macrumors 68000

That is not only in the USA.

It's always been 'Not what you know, but who you KNOW'.

The rich and the very rich just get more breaks, it's not right but it's how the world works.

20. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

This is true, however during my world traveling life, I have yet to see it happen to the extent it happens in the US in another 1st world countries, Generally.

Personally, I feel he should be sentenced 20 years without possibility of parole.

----------

Or gives him a taste of his own medicine and runs him over with a truck!:D

21. MyMac1976 macrumors 6502

MyMac1976

This is a very important point IMHO. This kind of thing happens all the time then we as a nation wonder why we have a large number of angry young black men . The entire CJ seems to set against young black men..

While I'm not generally a fan of throwing young folks into prison, this young man should spend a couple year there, and receive his counseling and have a long period of supervised release

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I guess the defense attorney expected the justice system to release him when he turned 18, after being treated like most juveniles. It is after all the outcome the defense was being paid to make happen.

Sort of didn't sound too positive that the kid will turn his life around, so most likely like most high profile cases -- we can expect in 2 years that this kid will be back in a courtroom trying to avoid a 10 year prison sentence.

I'd consider this a case of justice delayed, not denied.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I said I would drop out of this, but here I am again. NPR just posted more on this, including the judge's perspective:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way...r-teen-who-killed-4-heres-the-judges-thinking

Coincidentally, the The American Psychiatric Association says it does not recognize the diagnosis of affluenza.

Personally, I believe the parents are indeed responsible for the upbringing of this child, or lack of upbringing, because his lack of sense of right and wrong is completely missing; something that would have and should have been instilled in him by having active parents in his life. IMHO, in addition to that $450K, if they are indeed that loaded, $1000 per year should go to the families of the lives he took, or a fund set up in their name until x years; say, their 40th birthday (50th birthday for the 24 year old).

this idiot of a child got off light, especially for what would be attributed to 4 counts of motor vehicle manslaughter. He deserves much, much worse.

This reminds me now that I have to arrange some flowers to be delivered to a grave.

24. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Good thing the driver was not black.... Dangerous assumption?

25. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

If he was black I'd feel the same way, not sure what sort of assumption you are trying to make here...