Outside edge of screen not as sensitive

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Jenniejoy07, Oct 13, 2013.

1. Jenniejoy07 macrumors newbie

I have a silver 5s and this is my first iPhone. I feel like the edges of screen are not as sensitive as the rest of the screen. Sometimes I have to press things multiple times and pretty hard to get them to click. It's on the outside .25 to .5 inch on the edge. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

2. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

I think it's normal. There was an accuracy test posted a few years back that noted the edge phenomena:

touchscreen_accuracy.png

This is because Apple's touch controller uses an algorithm that derives the likely center of a touch, partially by averaging (I'm simplifying here) the touch values within the entire touch patch area.

Umm. In other words, to the capacitive touch controller, your finger looks like an upside down craggy mountain range. The peak (center) is determined by weighting the different sub-peak "heights".

As you near the edge, more and more of those finger sub-peaks are off the screen, and thus missing from the equation.

It's a trade-off. More accuracy in the oft-used middle vs. less accuracy on the less-used edges.