Over 100 Million Americans Voted for President

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by chrmjenkins, Nov 4, 2008.

1. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

As I'm looking at the top of the ABCnews page, I see about 98 million votes for President. That means that when all the votes are counted, over 100 million Americans will have voted for President. I don't know how many Americans are eligible to vote, nor do I know how many are registered, but I am proud to say it finally seems we are taking our responsibilities seriously.

Thanks for voting America.

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

i heard some states turnouts were around 90%

impressive to say the least

3. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There were hundreds of people when I voted mid-day according to one of the poll workers, with more coming, in my small neighborhood.

No matter how you voted, it's a proud day in America.

4. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

As I can agree.

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Over 120 million voted in 2004. The totals will be much higher this year, when all of the votes are counted, probably closer to 135-40 million.

6. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

I had heard there weren't as many young voters as expected, from the exit polls. Has that been verified?

7. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Actually, it looks like total turnout will be surprisingly close to the last election: around 120 million voters.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Not from what I have heard, but I haven't heard much. It appears that turnout was substantially above previous elections, so increased youth participation may be buried in those numbers.

Where have you heard that?

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Considering the need and urgency connected to this election, that's depressing. I would have hoped for more this time around. :(

10. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

Considering some 98 million Americans cast their vote for the last American Idol, I think it's a little too soon for people to begin the back-patting.

11. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

but you didnt have to be 18 to vote for american idol;)

12. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

And you can vote as many times as you want.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

High turnout usually goes against Republicans, I might add.

14. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And, you don't have to get off your fat ass, and stand in line for possible hours, to do it. :p

15. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

CCN says 117.8 million.

That figure also appears to be from 96% of precincts, so turnout could be higher. I suppose we'll have to wait until all results are in to see the full turnout. Otherwise i can't write in my politics exams about reasons for higher turnout this year!:p

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And Rick Astley got 945,680,600 votes for best act EVER. I expected at least 500 million votes for the US election.

Anyway, 120 million is a good number if it was reached, although 150 million is more than possible. America should have far more eligible voters than that. The number should be over 200 million.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Anyone have a source on the estimated number of people in the US who meet eligibility requirements (adult, citizen, doesn't meet felony exclusion criteria)? I do think it's probably around 200M, but I'm not sure how much higher than that it is. As of 2006, about 25% of the population was under 18, which would be about ... 75M of the roughly 300M US citizens. I don't know how many are excluded by the felony issue.

Registered voters for this election as of election day were estimated to number 180M, so at the time of election day, that's as high as the number could have been. I was hoping it'd be quite a bit closer to 180M than 120M, though.

18. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

AP is projecting 136.6 million. That's not bad, but I was hoping to break 140.

There are about 210 million people of voting age, but not all are eligible to vote (not citizens, convicted felons, etc).

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Wow. That's great. I'm glad my math was wrong.

20. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

It stands at 119 Million right now with more votes still coming in. If we reach 136 Million that will be close to a record turnout I think.

Obama is now winning by 7% in the popular vote. A clear technical landslide.

21. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

the electoral vote by itself was a landslide

Obama: 349 with 63,093,824 popular vote*
    McCain: 173 with 55,851,007 popular vote*

*= at the moment

Bush: 286 with 62,040,606 popular vote
    Kerry: 252 with 59,028,109 popular vote

Bush: 271 with 50,456,169 popular vote
    Gore: 266 with 50,996,116 popular vote

22. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Completely agree.

While some may be disappointed and other jubilant at the outcome, the peaceful power change through an elected official every 4 years is pretty darn awesome when you think about it.

Looking this over, I know some probably question if we still need an Electoral College or not. Especially looking at the 2000 election.

Why not just go with the popular vote?

I had a very interesting discussion today at work. Some expressed concern that their absentee ballots were not counted. Yes, some were from Virginia. Whether a person voted for McCain or Obama, they should know that their vote was counted.

Note, I am not contesting the election in anyway or suggesting there was anything improper or that the outcome would have been different. In fact, most of those who voiced their opinion had voted for Obama. Well at least they had mailed in their ballots. Whether their ballots were counted is another issue. The idea of every vote counts is paramount to our system.

I hope this gets fixed by the next election and is not a real or perceived issue.

23. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

I had a bash script running that voted hundreds of thousands of times for Rick Astely.:D

That being said, I also voted in the government elections this year.

24. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Here in Oregon we have mail-in ballots only. And I can point out that Multnomah County ( Portland Metro area ) went 80% for Obama. I think my ballot was counted.;)

25. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Especially when considering how many governments around at the time of the first exchange no longer exist.